Hi, as you can understand from the name, I am new in VB. So I have 2 questions regarding buttons:

1:
I have an array of buttons created like this in the code:

Dim buttons(10) As System.Windows.Forms.Button

I need whenever each one of these buttons is clicked to invoke the same method. Then I will go into the method, figure out which button was clicked and act accordingly. The reason I am doing this is because the length of the array will be created dynamically. So I don't know how many buttons there will be when the form loads, but I want when one of the buttons is clicked to call the same method

And 2:

I have written this code:

Dim button As System.Windows.Forms.Button = New System.Windows.Forms.Button()

Private Sub button_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles button.Click

End Sub

And I get the error:

Handles clause requires a WithEvents variable defined in the containing type or one of its base types.

Then I change it to this:

Friend WithEvents button As System.Windows.Forms.Button

Private Sub button_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles button.Click

End Sub

And when I run it I get a NullReferenceException

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

NullReferenceException

I think you used an button without new it. and you have to because it's reference type.
[out of topic]
someone professional in Java, the next step should be C# not VB.NET:)

,,,someone professional in Java, the next step should be C# not VB.NET:)

I couldn't agree more.

To answer your question, however: AddHandler :)

commented: I like his behavior in VB.NET forum +6
commented: Exactly what I was looking for +5

My friend I don't mean it's weak, I just concentrate on syntax similarities:)
And thanks for your great answer :)

Try this:
Double click on your button. This will take you to the code page showing the click event.

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Now all we do is add each button click to the back of this.

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click, Button3.Click, Button2.Click

And to find out which button was clicked check the sender object.

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click, Button3.Click, Button2.Click
        Dim btn As Button = sender
        MessageBox.Show(btn.Name.ToString & " pressed.")
    End Sub

Try this:
Double click on your button. This will take you to the code page showing the click event.

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Now all we do is add each button click to the back of this.

And to find out which button was clicked check the sender object.

Dim btn As Button = sender
        MessageBox.Show(btn.Name.ToString & " pressed.")
    End Sub

I already knew how to do this, and even though I am new to VB, I know that this is not a good advice because you hardcode the buttons at the method Button1_Click.

If you have read closely, I have an array of buttons which is dynamically generated. So I cannot go and add at the end of the method the buttons, because I want the "handling" to take place at runtime.

I used Comatose's suggestion and did this:

For i As Integer = 0 To length - 1
  AddHandler Me.buttonEdit(i).Click, AddressOf viewEdit_Click
Next

Public Sub viewEdit_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
        Dim buttonPressed As System.Windows.Forms.Button = sender
        MsgBox(buttonPressed.Name)
End Sub

By the way. Thanks Comatose. It was exactly what I was looking for.
To the rest of you thanks for your help.

And RamyMahrous the reason I am trying to write VB, is because in my University I went and asked from a professor to give me a Final Year Project and he asked me to do it in VB. It's been a month now that I am trying to write something decent and I hate myself everyday for turning down another project in Java because I thought it was too easy for the Final Project and I wanted something more prestige for my Diploma.
Now I am stack with this (no offense for all VB programmers) and I am struggling to finish it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.