aredhel.w 0 Newbie Poster

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you could help me out a bit here. I have a bunch of mumbo-jumbo codes that I found on the internet. Basically the codes count the number of peaks from an electrical signal that was transferred to the PC through the microphone jack socket. The electrical signal is the heart electrical signal called ECG.

The PC's soundcard acts as an ADC since the signal is analogue and to count it it needs to be digital.

First question
Anyways what I need to understand first is the file called "Functions.bas". I noticed that there are a bunch of audio APIs being declared, but some of them do not even exist like:

1. waveOutStart
2. WaveOutStop
3. WaveOutAddBuffer
4. mmioDescendParent
5. mmioReadFormat

First and foremost, I have looked through Microsoft MSDN's website and even googled and found what the other audio APIs are for, but not those 5 listed functions. What are they for?

Second question
I understand why some waveOut APIs and waveIn APIs are used, but I cannot understand why these APIs are even in the codes:

1. waveOutGetDevCaps
2. waveOutGetNumDevs
3. waveOutWrite

There were no waveIn APIs related to the listed three waveOut APIs. Why close something that you have not opened?

Attached are the files with the codes that you can take a look at. Thank you to those who replied.