I have a listbox in my program and a command button. When the user selects an item form the listbox and clicks the command button, a message box is shown which asks the user to confirm selection and has yes and no options to enable this.

If the user clicks yes it will accept the selection, i can do this.

I want the program to be able to offer the message box for confirmation two times after it has first been shown and after the no button is selected each time i want it to go back to the listbox to allow selection. On the third time i want it to automatically accept the choice and not offer confirmation as before.

Dim b As Integer
        Dim inputno As Integer
        inputno = 3
        Dim dlgRes As DialogResult

dlgRes = MessageBox.Show(" Do you wish to select this item", "Confirm choice", MessageBoxButtons.YesNo)

If dlgRes = DialogResult.Yes Then
 listboxselect.SelectedIndex = selecteditem
            End If

Recommended Answers

You would probably have to play with the count and where the message box is displayed to get this to be exactly what you want, but I think something like this should work.

Public Class Form1

Dim numTries As Short

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal …
Jump to Post

All 2 Replies

k so you want: User -> selection -> confirmation message ->user says no -> back to selecttion -> confirmation message -> user says no -> back to selection -> no confirmation and just accepts?

if so this is the rough outline of how you do it:
while tries <= 2
msgbox("are you sure?")
tries = tries + 1
end while

You would probably have to play with the count and where the message box is displayed to get this to be exactly what you want, but I think something like this should work.

Public Class Form1

Dim numTries As Short

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        ListBox1.Items.Add("a")
        ListBox1.Items.Add("b")
        ListBox1.Items.Add("c")

numTries = 0
    End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        If ListBox1.SelectedIndex <> -1 Then
            Dim diagResult As DialogResult = MessageBox.Show("Do you wish to select this item", "Confirm choice", MessageBoxButtons.YesNo)
            If diagResult <> DialogResult.Yes And numTries < 3 Then
                ListBox1.Focus()
                numTries = numTries + 1
            ElseIf diagResult = DialogResult.Yes Or numTries >= 3 Then
                MessageBox.Show("Do whatever")
            End If
        End If
    End Sub
End Class
commented: very good thanks you solved it +1
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.20 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.