Why are the standard header files in C++ so non-standard? Particularly iostream seems to be the most dialectal. Enough to make the whole language a mess to work with!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

>Why are the standard header files in C++ so non-standard?
They are standard and well defined.

>Particularly iostream seems to be the most dialectal.
Any compiler is allowed to provide non-standard extensions. Any issues you have with extensions are your problem.

>Why are the standard header files in C++ so non-standard?
They are standard and well defined.

>Particularly iostream seems to be the most dialectal.
Any compiler is allowed to provide non-standard extensions. Any issues you have with extensions are your problem.

How do I know, if the header files that come with a compiler conform to the standard? The trite answer would be to read the whole C++ standard. Let's be mildly more intelligent about it.

the trite answer is indeed the one true answer.
Anything that's not in the standard docs is non-standard.

A slightly more concise answer would be that as long as you keep to what Stroustrup describes you should be fine.

Member Avatar for Siersan

How do I know, if the header files that come with a compiler conform to the standard? The trite answer would be to read the whole C++ standard. Let's be mildly more intelligent about it.

I think the intelligent solution would be to read the standard. But I can see how it would be intimidating to some people. Have you tried searching www.dinkumware.com?

I think the intelligent solution would be to read the standard. But I can see how it would be intimidating to some people. Have you tried searching www.dinkumware.com?

Thanks Siersan,
the Dinkum C++ Proofer is the proper tool!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.