I like really clean code so I want to pull all of the common includes into a separate file and then include that single file in all my other files. Also makes it easier if I start using a new or different library cuz I only have to change it in one place.

here is what i have in my include.h file:

#ifdef WIN32
   #define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN
   #include <windows.h>
#endif

//    System Includes   //
#include <iostream>
#include <cstdio>
#include <fstream>
#include <string>

//    Imported Libraries   //
#include "xmlParser.h"

//    Our Includes   //
#include "image.h"
#include "enum.cpp"

//    OpenGL Includes   //
#include <GL/gl.h>
#include <GL/glut.h>

using namespace std;

Each file has

#include "include.h"

Simple enough.

VS2008 gives me error C1014: Too many includes. I'm pretty sure from browsing other posts that this means I'm doing recursive including. But if I do it any other way it says it can't find any of the data types that are defined in the includes.

Thanks for any help.

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by toadzky

yes. it's just a cpp file (probably could be .h) that holds some enums. no actual code in it or includes

Yes, it should definitely be .h if it has no actual code.
Do you have include guards in your header files?

yes. it's just a cpp file (probably could be .h) that holds some enums. no actual code in it or includes

There is a contradiction, in your first post you say that "Each file has: #include "include.h"". If enum.cpp actually includes include.h, that results in the error you described.

[EDIT]
Assuming "Each file" refers to source files ...
[/EDIT]

the enum file doesn't include anything.

as for guards, i tried using them but it says that it cant find any of the types from the includes.

You must use include guards. Do this:

#ifndef FILENAME_H_
#define FILENAME_H_
// header code here
#endif

I know I should have guards. However, if I include the guards, NONE of the includes happen. It says it can't find ANY of the data types included in the guard.

You put the guards in the *.h files that you wrote, not the STL or other system files. If you are getting errors, then you didn't do it correctly, and you should post the header file w/guards so we can see what you did.

//"xmlParser.h"
#ifndef XMLPARSER_H
#define XMLPARSER_H
// stuff goes here

#endif

Can't tell you why it wasn't working the first time, because definitely tried guards before I even posted this. I gave up for a while and just focused on getting my code working. Now it's working.

Thanks for your patience and your help.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.