Hi!

I was wondering if someone could help me figure out what may be wrong in my installing process or in my compiler...

I was installing Visual Studio 6.0 C++ and everything went well until I started compiling and this is what it shows:

--------------------Configuration: try - Win32 Debug--------------------
Linking...
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\LIB\uuid.lib : fatal error LNK1113: invalid machine type
Error executing link.exe.

try.exe - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

does anyone knows how to remedy this problem?

thank you!

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Do you have a 64-bit machine?

Have you tried to restart Visual Studio and build again your solution?

Also, I know that a "Clean Solution / Rebuild Solution" solves a lot of problems.

You can click on the error message and press F1. If you're lucky, that will lead you to more info on the error. And also, Google is your friend!

i tried but it wont work... i dont have 64-bit machine :(

If you're using Windows Vista, it might be a better idea to use one of Microsoft's free available Express Editions, otherwise reinstalling the application might fix the problem ...

Srry, I forgot to post the link :) ...

See this address for the express edition, I recommend it instead of VC++ 6.0:

http://www.microsoft.com/Express/

got it! thanks... now another problem... haha... sorry... hmmm why can i not build it? the icon for build is in gray and unclickable...

thanks again for the big help!

Have you created a new project or have you just opened the file? Opening the file only prevents you from building the executable. You must create a project.

Have you created a new project or have you just opened the file? Opening the file only prevents you from building the executable. You must create a project.

> That's right !

waaahhh.... i really dont understand the one you suggested me. I was trying to have a simple output for trial but it wont work....

#include <iostream.h>

void main()
{
	char name[20];

cout << "what's your name? ";
	cin  >> name;

cout << "thank you " << name;
}

then this is the result:

------ Build started: Project: tryanother, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
Compiling...
sanamagwork.cpp
.\sanamagwork.cpp(1) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'iostream.h': No such file or directory
Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\tryanother\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
tryanother - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.