Aelphaeis here with another little problem.

In the Code below I attempted to make a generic function which read a line up to a newline character and then returned the string. The program reads as follows

#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <strings.h>

int getstring(char *string,int max);

int main(int argc,char * argv [])
{
    char name[15];
    name[0] = 'A';
    while (stricmp(name,"exit")!= 0)
    {
          getstring(name,15);
          printf("%s\n",name);
    }
    system("pause");
}

int getstring(char *string,int max)
{
     for (int num = 0;num != max;num++)
     {
         string[num] = getchar();
         if (string[num]=='\n')
         {
            string[num] = '\0';
            return num;
         }
     }
}

Now if you looking at this you might ask yourself
"So whats the point of returning your string, the fact is you don't need to return it because a character array is really a pointer which points to a place in memory and what you've effectively done in this program is manipulate the actually data which the pointer is pointing to..."
However if I wanted to past the actually data that the pointer contains how would I go about doing that?

In other words I want to make a gets() function which returns the actual data read from the screen.

with this in mind it would be used in the context

char string[15];
string = getstring(15);

Of course, its not really necessary but it would be a neat trick to use. Anyone have any ideas?

Did you already notice that your function getString() actually is returning a value of type int ?

To return a c-string your function has to return something of type const char * ...

Did you already notice that your function getString() actually is returning a value of type int ?

To return a c-string your function has to return something of type const char * ...

Yes I did notice that it returned a int type, I designed it to be like scanf which returns the number of variable scanned (at least thats what it did last time I checked, I can't seem to remember =[ ).

*Starts Testing tux4life's suggestion*
... ...
... ... ...
Ah, I see. Apparently your method fails because of the fact that its an array of characters, but that is a datatype I hadn't thought of before so I will experiment with it

Your dream of

char string[15];
string = getstring(15);

will not work.

You either have to do this (and why not?)

getstring (string,15);

Or this

char *string;
string = getstring(); // getstring allocates string storage
// use string
free (string);

Your dream of

You either have to do this (and why not?)

getstring (string,15);

I actually had assumed that =(. Its pretty obvious why It wouldn't work. however do you think would work if I did something crazy like

char string [] = getstring(15);

though similar to the other one I believe that this actually makes sense and is possible given the return type const char*

Edited 3 Years Ago by mike_2000_17: Fixed formatting

>however do you think would work if I did something crazy like
>char string [] = getstring(15);
No, you can't initialize an array with a memory address. That's what pointers are for.

Yes I did notice that it returned a int type, I designed it to be like scanf which returns the number of variable scanned (at least thats what it did last time I checked, I can't seem to remember =[ ).

*Starts Testing tux4life's suggestion*
... ...
... ... ...
Ah, I see. Apparently your method fails because of the fact that its an array of characters, but that is a datatype I hadn't thought of before so I will experiment with it

It fails because you implemented it in the wrong way ...
Maybe the following thread might be useful for you: http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread56000.html

I've also included an example:

#include<iostream>

using namespace std;

char * strRet();

int main()
{
	char * string;
	string = strRet();
	cout << string << endl;
	delete[] string;
	return 0;
}
char * strRet()
{
	char * sth = new char[15];
	strcpy(sth, "Hello World!");
	return sth;
}
#include<iostream>

using namespace std;

char * strRet();

int main()
{
	char * string;
	string = strRet();
	cout << string << endl;
	delete[] string;
	return 0;
}
char * strRet()
{
	char * sth = new char[15];
	strcpy(sth, "Hello World!");
	return sth;
}

Your Example is cute and all (and a bonus, it works =]) but firstly its in C++ and while I like C++ I want to do it in C hence why its in the C forum ^_^. secondly this doesn't do what I want it to do.

Until you translate that to C we can't move any further with that code.

Note: If you where to write a piece of Source Code with C++ syntax but C keywords and principles your C++ compiler will just get the job done. If your using Dev - C++ but compiler as a .c file your compiler will actually insult you more times than not. I've tried it, so Object C won't work either.

Your Example is cute and all (and a bonus, it works =]) but firstly its in C++ and while I like C++ I want to do it in C hence why its in the C forum ^_^. secondly this doesn't do what I want it to do.

Oh, sorry for that I didn't notice I was posting in the C forum ...
In that case you'll have to take a look at the link I posted ...

why, exactly, are we reinventing the wheel?

i'm trying to locate my motivation for "moving further", and not having much luck....

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.