I am an infant attempting to learn to crawl through Java. I have been learning for just over four weeks now, and have been doing relatively well. However, I am now on arrays, and find myself not only floundering, but drowning! My text seems extremely difficult to understand, and I am hoping that someone can point me towards some concise explanation for the interactivity in, and between arrays. I understand that an array must be of type string, or int, or double, etc. I do not understand the way in which an array of type string can be associated with int values and double values in order for calculations, and therefore displays, to be credited correctly. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

My apologies to all. While frantically pulling the remaining hair from my head, I somehow overlooked the huge post above that includes "Tutorials". I am certain to find my answers there.

Thanks,
we

I am an infant attempting to learn to crawl through Java. I have been learning for just over four weeks now, and have been doing relatively well. However, I am now on arrays, and find myself not only floundering, but drowning! My text seems extremely difficult to understand, and I am hoping that someone can point me towards some concise explanation for the interactivity in, and between arrays. I understand that an array must be of type string, or int, or double, etc. I do not understand the way in which an array of type string can be associated with int values and double values in order for calculations, and therefore displays, to be credited correctly. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,
Can Use shell script as backend & Java(Swings) as front end in Linux Platform ??

I do not understand the way in which an array of type string can be associated with int values and double values in order for calculations, and therefore displays, to be credited correctly. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not certain that I understand your question exactly, but it kind of sounds like you're wanting a HashMap (which is a implementation of the more generic Map collection interface). HashMap allows you to associate an Object key to an Object value: key->value.

I think he wants to do something more like
int total = 0;
//where array is an array of strings
for (int i = 0; i < array.length; i++){
total+=Integer.parseInt(array);
}

commented: Yeah, I think you're right. +21
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.