Hi, are there some libraries i can use (in MS windows) for stuff like, obtaining info from a website? i read something about sockets once, but im not sure what it is (yes, i googled it :) )

Or would be easier/better, as some suggest, to learn java or python? (or perhaps javascript could do??)

Python has a great support of internet.
If you want it do it C++, things can go messy.
If you are to only develop apps for MS Windows, they have winsock library. Use it.
For cross-platform support Boost's Asio is a good one.
Best of luck

BTW, I will be programming in C++, would you recommend learning python, and then running the python programs trough c++ (seems clumsy) or using one of the libs you mentioned?
any change you know where to find a good tut on the 2 libs?

It seems to be hard, finding the way around the boost asio header files. Or is it just me?

>>would you recommend learning python, and then running the python programs trough c++ (seems clumsy)
No, I don't

>>or using one of the libs you mentioned?
>>any change you know where to find a good tut on the 2 libs?
This is much better. Use the winsock if you intent to write only for windows.

>>It seams to be hard, finding the way around the boost asio header files.
>>Or is it just me?
No, it is not just you. It is a hard fact that Boosts documentations are very breif and true to point. You have to help yourself if your using Asio

Comments
Thank you for your answers, they are very helpfull

I will use winsock then.
Maybe when i get the hang of the techniques i will use asio.

Any chance you know a good tut or know where to find good documentaition for winsocks? i found one that seems OK.
from madwizard.org

But if you happen to know a good one i would appreciate it :)

>>You absolutely dont need winsock to get infos from a web site (!)
The OP says "for stuff like, obtaining info from a website? "
He surely wants to do more rather than just getting info from a website.
To the OP: If you really need to get some info on a website, you can use curl Free and cross-platform

Just use standard Win32 apis (Net, COM, and others)

It's bundled with Windows, so it's part of it already. Along with WinINet.

So if i just want to grab a line or two from a web site (this is not all i want to do)
I could use curl?
Marco93: im not sure i know what you mean :)

Obtaining info is not all i want to do, but knowing an easier way to it cant hurt :)

My idea is (short or long term, i dont know :) ) to make a program that reads the info on checkip.dyndns.com, and then sends it to another computer (i havent completely decided where to send it, i might end up sending it to an ftp server in a .txt file)

But once i'm startet on network related programming (whats the right term?) i would like to be able to do more than that i guess, so i would rather not do to many shortcuts :)

curl can handle HTTP GET and HTTP POST
It also support FTP
So if this is all you want to do, I suggest go with cURL. Its more generic than anything.

>>But once i'm startet on network related programming (whats the right term?)
>>i would like to be able to do more than that i guess, so i would rather not do
>>to many shortcuts
Yeah, then move to Asio

Does curl involve WinApi (like i believe winsock does, or at least it seems that way) ?

I am having huge trouble finding my way around the WinApi :/

Does curl involve WinApi (like i believe winsock does, or at least it seems that way) ?

Probably, but its transparent to us programmers because its cross-platform. It uses the api from whatever platform we want to use it on.

I am having huge trouble finding my way around the WinApi :/

Join the party :) We all have problems with it because it is so huge.

Haha :) glad its not just me then.
It's just all that stuff you have to remember without understanding it, its IMPOSSIBLE! at least C++ functions and syntax make sence.. well, moslty anyway:)

Thank you all for you answers:)

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.