your first and so far only post here is a blatant attack on someone about something you seem to not properly understand, reopening a topic that was discussed to completion over a year ago.
Very nice entrance that is...

Hi Richard,

What if that guy, in turn, asks you one or more questions and you don't know the answer(s)? Would you resign?

You cannot judge people by a few questions. They may know what you don't and don't know what you do.

Was this person you? Are you bitter? You must be to have dug up an extinct thread and try to revivie it with a retorical question. And yes, an interviewer can judge someone with a few questions. In fact, that is exactly what they are suppossed to do, and you would hope that those few questions are geared toward determining applicant compatibility with project requirements, but this is not always the case.

Was this person you? Are you bitter? You must be to have dug up an extinct thread and try to revivie it with a retorical question. And yes, an interviewer can judge someone with a few questions. In fact, that is exactly what they are suppossed to do, and you would hope that those few questions are geared toward determining applicant compatibility with project requirements, but this is not always the case.

That guy is just like thousands or millions of us. He did not anwer correctly a few questions, but it did not mean he was stupid or whatsoever. This is a good example for not judging people by a few questions. If you a smart person, please take a minute and think about it.

In my fifth year of Java programming, after being involved in several distributed developments for large companies, a prospective employer tested my ability. "Don't worry," he said, "you'll have no trouble; this is for beginners." Unfortunately I failed and was embarrassed - it was a dismal score. He asked me why I had scored so low and with my career and self-belief crushed and broken and in ruins on the grey carpet-tiles, I mumbled something about IDEs, esoteric details of thread control, and tricky default behavior. I dashed from the building and imagined him later berating the agent for sending somebody so obviously lying about his experience.

http://java.sys-con.com/read/46665.htm

Well, then what should an interviewer do? Take your word for it? Like I said, that is what an interviewer is suppossed to do. He must do it. It is not a question of right or wrong, it is his job.

An interviewer will (if he's good) not automatically reject you if you don't answer everything correctly, but decide based on how you arrived at your answers.
Of course many interviewers are not that good, because many technical interviews are performed by non-technical people who just use a list of ready made questions and answers and tick off how many the candidate answers correctly like it were some highschool exam.

Depending on the level of the job and the claimed knowledge of the applicant he will of course be required to know certain things by heart even so, and the above question could well be such a one for someone applying for a job on a team creating Swing applications with database backends.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.