How do i get quick basic on windows xp? Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I use XP Pro and have had no problem running QBasic. Most people's problem stems from where they put the \QBASIC directory. It should be as follows:

C:\QBASIC\

You may or may not have to go into QBasic, and change the file paths [depending on which version you're using].

I have QBasic v1.0, and all I did was copy it from another computer, and stick it right back into the same root directory, and it worked.

Do a search on a search engine and you'll most likely find a place to download a QBASIC compiler.

i cannot run qbasic bcoz it says c:windows/system32/autoexec.nt is not a suitable file for running ms dos. it is so annoying :mad: help would be apreciated.

undefined

i cannot run qbasic bcoz it says c:windows/system32/autoexec.nt is not a suitable file for running ms dos. it is so annoying :mad: help would be apreciated.

I read an article online the other day concerning the autoexec.nt file. I think it was on PC Mag or Extreme Tech, I forget. Anyway, it may help in your situation:

I am an amateur radio operator and a member of the Navy-Marine Corps Military Affiliate Radio System. I use PC Packratt for Windows with my PK-232, which is a modem that converts all of those strange noises that you hear on shortwave radio into text that is displayed on the monitor. Soon after I upgraded Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2, a message concerning Autoexec.nt and referring to DOS-based applications appeared, and now I can't run this program. The company that used to support PC Packratt is no longer in business. I have tried to get this program to run in Windows 95 compatibility mode, but that doesn't work either. Can you help?

Bob Pratt

I encountered the exact same problem when my kids tried to run an antique DOS-based game (ID Software's Commander Keen). Not long after the SP2 update, the game stopped working, complaining that the Autoexec.nt file "is not suitable." A quick look at the C:\Windows \System32 folder revealed that the Autoexec.nt file had totally disappeared. The contents of the file don't necessarily matter, but if it's missing, you'll get a problem. Fortunately, it's easy to replace.

Launch Notepad, enter "@ECHO OFF" (no quotes), press Enter at the end of the line, and save the file as C:\Windows\System32\ Autoexec.nt. When saving, put the filename in quotes; otherwise Notepad may give it the filename Autoexec.nt.txt. Now try the program. If it still doesn't work, reopen the Autoexec.nt file and add the following lines:

lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir

lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

That should do the job.

Here I have made a simple program that installs an autoexec.nt file to your system32 folder it will allow any DOS program to work on Windows XP as far as I know. Here is the Link :cheesy:

http://www.winxpdos.tk/

Download DosWINXP - Fix

I have a Quatech SPP-100 PCMCIA to parallel port (IEEE-1284) card that I am trying to access with Quick Basic V4.5 running in the DOS Emulation window (DOS command) of Windows XP. The I/O range of the PCMCIA - parallel card is @H0400 - @H0407 and there is no IRQ assigned. None of the cards data output lines (D7 - D0) change state when I run my Quick Basic port exercising program. The card is functional as I can print from MSWord to my HP-932C DeskJet printer through it's parallel (IEEE-1284) port. The manufacturer, Quatech, says that I should NOT have to install the DOS drivers for the SPP-100 if I am running in the DOS window of Windows XP. Note, the exercising program works well in the DOS Prompt window on my HP Pavilion 6465
Desktop running Windows 98 FE.

What are some reasons why I am not getting any results with this test setup under Windows XP home edition? A friend told me QB won't access external hardware in Win XP because something called the API won't allow it. Is this true and what is the API? Is there any way to get arround this?

Paul Rumbaugh

if it doesn't have a path and temp variable set you might add those.

you may also have to make a config.nt file and put it in the same directory.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.