I need to know a way to open a notepad document from one of my programs without opening a console window. The calling program is a standard window, so it would look bad if a console widow opened. There are a couple of things you should be aware of as well. I have already tried system("call ..."), which opens the console, and also, I can't include windows.h due to conflicting class names. Please help.

So add a new source file to your project called runner.cpp

All this does, is
- include windows.h
- implements a thin wrapper, say myRunner() round say CreateProcess()
- and returns

runner.h just contains the prototype of myRunner(), which in itself is NOT dependent on windows.h

Include runner.h when you want to run something.

Um, unless i'm not doing it right, it still comes up with the same conflicting definitions errors. Here's the code:

#ifndef  RUNNER_CPP
#define  RUNNER_CPP

#include <windows.h>

void run()
{
    CreateProcess(<parameters here>);
}

#endif //RUNNER_CPP

Oh, by the way tux4life, I don't want to open it for i/o. I just want the user to be able to read it. It's kind of like a help file.

>>I need to know a way to open a notepad document from one of my programs without opening a console window.
>>Oh, by the way tux4life, I don't want to open it for i/o. I just want the user to be able to read it. It's kind of like a help file.

You cannot read a file without using I/O techniques :P

Actually you need I/O (but only the input part then): you have to read out the notepad document and display it on the screen right?

Oh sorry, I think I know what you mean: You want to open a notepad file in notepad without a command line popping up ...

Maybe you could try posting your errors.

> Um, unless i'm not doing it right, it still comes up with the same conflicting definitions errors. Here's the code:
That looks for all the world like you just created a new .cpp file, then right away did
#include "runner.cpp"
in some other module.

Read my post again, that is NOT what I told you to do.

Oh sorry, I think I know what you mean: You want to open a notepad file in notepad without a command line popping up ...

Correct.

What I did was create a new file (actually .h not .cpp. I don't know why I put _CPP.) and put that code in it. I then linked it to my project and included it in my main file. Where am I going wrong?

You need a separate source file as well.

So that windows.h and all your conflicting headers do NOT appear in the same .cpp file.

Place this function into the separate .cpp file:

void ShowText(const char* filename)
{
    ::ShellExecuteA(::GetDesktopWindow(),
        "open",
        "notepad.exe",
        filename,
        SW_SHOWNORMAL);
}

Include <windows.h> dependency into this file only.
This function works in console applications too.

Comments
Good job!
This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.