Hi

I am trying to bind two checkboxes in a datagrid. The 1st Checkbox is category and the 2nd Checkbox is sub category. A category can have several sub categories. When i bind the 1st checkbox the category name is repeated more than once and I need to have only one checkbox for one category. Please find the code below:

<asp:DataList ID="title_dl" runat="server" DataSourceID="title_dss" DataKeyField="M_CATPAGES_ID"  >

<ItemTemplate>

<td><asp:Checkbox ID ="cat_title_chk" AutoPostBack="true" runat="server" Text='<%# Container.DataItem("M_CATPAGES_CAT") %>'></asp:Checkbox> </td>   

<td><asp:CheckBox ID="sub_cat_chk" runat="server" Text='<%# Container.DataItem("M_PAGES_PAGES")  %>'></asp:Checkbox> </td>
                     </ItemTemplate>

</asp:DataList>

<asp:SqlDataSource ID="title_dss" runat="server" ConnectionString="Driver={MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver};DATABASE=laqualite;option=0;pwd=cadt12;port=0;server=10.20.18.50;uid=root" DataSourceMode="DataReader" ProviderName="System.Data.Odbc" SelectCommand="Select M_PAGES_ID_PK,M_PAGES_PAGES,M_CATPAGES_ID,M_CATPAGES_CAT From mast_pages_tbl,mast_catpages_tbl Where M_CATPAGES_ID = M_PAGES_CATID and M_PAGES_ID_PK <> '27' Order By M_CATPAGES_CAT"></asp:SqlDataSource> 

Edited by Nick Evan: Fixed formatting

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by dot_net_rookie

well i can tell you right now why.

you are retreiving category and sub category and the same resultset and your data is show as example.
Category Sub_Categor
Network CCNA
Network CCNP
Programming C#
Programming VB

and when you pass that to the datalist is going to embed the data as show above. and what you need is
Network CCNA
CCNP
Programming C#
VB
now are you doing that because somebody can select multiple sub_category at the same time?

well i can tell you right now why.

you are retreiving category and sub category and the same resultset and your data is show as example.
Category Sub_Categor
Network CCNA
Network CCNP
Programming C#
Programming VB

and when you pass that to the datalist is going to embed the data as show above. and what you need is
Network CCNA
CCNP
Programming C#
VB
now are you doing that because somebody can select multiple sub_category at the same time?

Exactly that was the output I am looking for as I can select multiple sub categories under a category and the Category should not be repeated more than once

ok, i do not know if this is the best solution but it work.

I test this try to replace your statement in values, notice the event OnItemDataBound that makes the trick.
aspx

<table>
        <asp:DataList ID="DataList1" runat="server" OnItemDataBound="bounditem">

<ItemTemplate>
        <tr><td>
            <asp:CheckBox ID="chkCategory" runat="server" Text='<% #DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "OPTION_FNCTN").ToString() %>' /></td><td>
            <asp:CheckBoxList ID="ckhSubCategory" runat="server"></asp:CheckBoxList></td></tr>
        </ItemTemplate>

</table>

Now in the onload page i just generate the first checkbox which is the category one. notice in the select statement the function DISTINCT.

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            string st = "SELECT distinct OPTION_FNCTN FROM MENUOPTS_T WHERE (OPTION_FNCTN <> '') ORDER BY OPTION_FNCTN";
            DataSet ds = new DataSet();
            SqlDataAdapter adap = new SqlDataAdapter(st, MyConn);
            MyConn.Open();
            adap.Fill(ds);
            MyConn.Close();
            DataList1.DataSource = ds;
            DataList1.DataBind();
        }

now i create another function while the datalist is bounded this is the function.

protected void bounditem(object sender, DataListItemEventArgs e)
        {
            if (e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.Item || e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.AlternatingItem)
            {
                string stGet = "SELECT OPTION_DESC FROM MENUOPTS_T WHERE (OPTION_FNCTN = '"+((CheckBox)e.Item.FindControl("chkCategory")).Text+"')";
                DataSet dsGet = new DataSet();
                SqlDataAdapter adapGet = new SqlDataAdapter(stGet, MyConn);
                MyConn.Open();
                adapGet.Fill(dsGet);
                MyConn.Close();
                ((CheckBoxList)e.Item.FindControl("chkSubCategory")).DataSource = dsGet;
                ((CheckBoxList)e.Item.FindControl("chkSubCategory")).DataTextField = "OPTION_DESC";
                ((CheckBoxList)e.Item.FindControl("chkSubCategory")).DataValueField = "OPTION_DESC";
                ((CheckBoxList)e.Item.FindControl("chkSubCategory")).DataBind();
            }
        }

i bet you there are a few ways to do this but, this is the first one that comes to my mind.

Regards

ok, i do not know if this is the best solution but it work.

I test this try to replace your statement in values, notice the event OnItemDataBound that makes the trick.
aspx

<table>
        <asp:DataList ID="DataList1" runat="server" OnItemDataBound="bounditem">

<ItemTemplate>
        <tr><td>
            <asp:CheckBox ID="chkCategory" runat="server" Text='<% #DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "OPTION_FNCTN").ToString() %>' /></td><td>
            <asp:CheckBoxList ID="ckhSubCategory" runat="server"></asp:CheckBoxList></td></tr>
        </ItemTemplate>

</table>

Now in the onload page i just generate the first checkbox which is the category one. notice in the select statement the function DISTINCT.

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            string st = "SELECT distinct OPTION_FNCTN FROM MENUOPTS_T WHERE (OPTION_FNCTN <> '') ORDER BY OPTION_FNCTN";
            DataSet ds = new DataSet();
            SqlDataAdapter adap = new SqlDataAdapter(st, MyConn);
            MyConn.Open();
            adap.Fill(ds);
            MyConn.Close();
            DataList1.DataSource = ds;
            DataList1.DataBind();
        }

now i create another function while the datalist is bounded this is the function.

protected void bounditem(object sender, DataListItemEventArgs e)
        {
            if (e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.Item || e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.AlternatingItem)
            {
                string stGet = "SELECT OPTION_DESC FROM MENUOPTS_T WHERE (OPTION_FNCTN = '"+((CheckBox)e.Item.FindControl("chkCategory")).Text+"')";
                DataSet dsGet = new DataSet();
                SqlDataAdapter adapGet = new SqlDataAdapter(stGet, MyConn);
                MyConn.Open();
                adapGet.Fill(dsGet);
                MyConn.Close();
                ((CheckBoxList)e.Item.FindControl("chkSubCategory")).DataSource = dsGet;
                ((CheckBoxList)e.Item.FindControl("chkSubCategory")).DataTextField = "OPTION_DESC";
                ((CheckBoxList)e.Item.FindControl("chkSubCategory")).DataValueField = "OPTION_DESC";
                ((CheckBoxList)e.Item.FindControl("chkSubCategory")).DataBind();
            }
        }

i bet you there are a few ways to do this but, this is the first one that comes to my mind.

Regards

Hi Thank you very much for the solution...You have been very helpful..... I have a small problem in running the code due to an issue in the query in bounditem... I have reworked on the query as follows :

SELECT a.SubCat_Name FROM SubCategory Table as a,Category Table as b WHERE Cat_Name= '" & DirectCast(e.Item.FindControl("chkCategory"), CheckBox).Text & "') and a.SubCat_Cat_id=b.Cat_Id

I am binding the Category and Sub category from different tables

Category Table
Cat_Id
Cat_Name

SubCategory Table
SubCat_Id
SubCat_Name
SubCat_Cat_id

The SubCat_Cat_id from the SubCategory table is referred to the Cat_Id in Category Table.... But I am unable to get the results displayed but when i run the query in Sql Server it works fine...Please help me out....

Try this

Select a.SubCat_Name from SubCategory as a inner join category as b on a.SubCat_Cat_id = b.Cat_id
where b.Cat_name = '" & DirectCast(e.Item.FindControl("chkCategory"), CheckBox).Text & "'

I do not know if your really need DirectCast cause you are just asking for the checkbox label text which is string.

regards.

Thank you very much for the help provided ...The issue is fixed and its working fine...............

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.