Okay, I have been googling and looking on MSDN for this for a couple hours or so, and I will continue to do so until somebody replies. I need some help on a program I am making in my free time.

Can sombody tell me what would be a good way to create my own icon list to use in a toolbar. I have a toolbar, and I don't like the look of the IDB_STD_SMALL_COLOR icon list. I would really like to make my own, and I can make the icons, I just need to know how I can create my own list of icons. But there is a catch, it can't use any resource scripts.

I am not looking for somebody to just hand me a script and say "here you go", I would like either a small tutorial by you, or a link to a tutorial.

I have an idea of how I could do it:

TBBUTTON btn[12];
    TBADDBITMAP bmp;
    HINSTANCE hInst = GetModuleHandle(NULL);

bmp.hInst = hInst;
    //bmp.nID = IDB_STD_LARGE_COLOR; // Can I just not set nID?
    SendMessage(toolbar, TB_ADDBITMAP, 0, (LPARAM)&bmp);
    ZeroMemory(btn, sizeof(btn));

btn[0].iBitmap = LoadIcon(hInst, "new.ico");
    btn[0].fsState = TBSTATE_ENABLED | TBSTATE_WRAP;
    btn[0].fsStyle = TBSTYLE_BUTTON;
    btn[0].idCommand = CTRL_MENU_FILE_NEW;
    // ...

But this doesn't work, because iBitmap is an integer. So there must be some way. I have heard of image lists, and looked them up on MSDN, but I don't understand them. They are just numbers, where do the actual filenames come into play?

Summary: How to set my own icons for a toolbar.

Why isn't anybody answering me? This was the last place I looked and still nobody cares. It's not like I haven't tried, I have worked my ass of trying to do this. I know somebody knows how to do this, and several people who do saw my thread and didn't bother to help.

I got my icons, and I define the bitmap an define the offset in the iBitmap property, but it still doesn't work, and I was following a tutorial. I can't find any other place that has information on this.

They all use the STD library.

So seriously, somebody answer me please.

commented:   -1
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.