Okay, I have been googling and looking on MSDN for this for a couple hours or so, and I will continue to do so until somebody replies. I need some help on a program I am making in my free time.

Can sombody tell me what would be a good way to create my own icon list to use in a toolbar. I have a toolbar, and I don't like the look of the IDB_STD_SMALL_COLOR icon list. I would really like to make my own, and I can make the icons, I just need to know how I can create my own list of icons. But there is a catch, it can't use any resource scripts.

I am not looking for somebody to just hand me a script and say "here you go", I would like either a small tutorial by you, or a link to a tutorial.

I have an idea of how I could do it:

TBBUTTON btn[12];
    HINSTANCE hInst = GetModuleHandle(NULL);
    bmp.hInst = hInst;
    //bmp.nID = IDB_STD_LARGE_COLOR; // Can I just not set nID?
    SendMessage(toolbar, TB_ADDBITMAP, 0, (LPARAM)&bmp);
    ZeroMemory(btn, sizeof(btn));
    btn[0].iBitmap = LoadIcon(hInst, "new.ico");
    btn[0].fsState = TBSTATE_ENABLED | TBSTATE_WRAP;
    btn[0].fsStyle = TBSTYLE_BUTTON;
    btn[0].idCommand = CTRL_MENU_FILE_NEW;
    // ...

But this doesn't work, because iBitmap is an integer. So there must be some way. I have heard of image lists, and looked them up on MSDN, but I don't understand them. They are just numbers, where do the actual filenames come into play?

Summary: How to set my own icons for a toolbar.

Why isn't anybody answering me? This was the last place I looked and still nobody cares. It's not like I haven't tried, I have worked my ass of trying to do this. I know somebody knows how to do this, and several people who do saw my thread and didn't bother to help.

I got my icons, and I define the bitmap an define the offset in the iBitmap property, but it still doesn't work, and I was following a tutorial. I can't find any other place that has information on this.

They all use the STD library.

So seriously, somebody answer me please.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.