Okay so I have a multiline textbox that accepts user input and stores it in a database. I then have another form that queries for this field and displays it. Everything is working fine, except for the fact that it won't recognize new lines when the user presses enter. I am at a loss.

I need the form to in some way, accept enter to create a new line and output it from the database with the line breaks the way the user inputs them.

This is aspx with sqlserver if it matters.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

if this is aspx why didnt you post it there?
you have to replace newline characters with <br /> so it displays properly. i created a sample application, i attach it to this post :

Default.aspx :

<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true"  CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="_Default" %>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" >
<head runat="server">
    <title>Untitled Page</title>
</head>
<body>
    <form id="form1" runat="server">
    <div>
        <asp:TextBox ID="TextBox1" runat="server" Height="89px" TextMode="MultiLine"></asp:TextBox>
        <asp:Button ID="Button1" runat="server" OnClick="Button1_Click" Text="Button" /></div>
    </form>
</body>
</html>

Default.aspx.cs :

using System;
using System.Data;
using System.Configuration;
using System.Web;
using System.Web.Security;
using System.Web.UI;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts;
using System.Web.UI.HtmlControls;

public partial class _Default : System.Web.UI.Page 
{
    protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {

}
	protected void Button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
	{
		Response.Write( TextBox1.Text.Replace(Environment.NewLine, "<br />"));
	}
}
commented: Excellent answer +1

i couldnt attach the project to the previous post so here it is

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.