so my program has to read data from text file and pass it to the function. text file contains integer and string in every line. it looks like this:

23456 john
96512 martin
56985 wendy

i've written it in C using this code:

while (fscanf(filestream, "%d%s", &key, &value) == 2){
    Insert(key, value);
}

it would be very helpful if someone could write the exact equivalent in C++ for the given code.

Thank you in advance.

Edited 3 Years Ago by Reverend Jim: Fixed formatting

Don't think anyone will write the code for you, too bad I don't really know C to begin with.

I bet you can find very similiar threads in the C++ forum history. If not, you should check getline, << and maybe string2int

Here is an algorithm for it :

//open a file using fstream objects say file and functions like file.open() in input mode
// Create a string variable which can act as a buffer for holding the values
while(getline( <file descriptor value>, <buffer object>)!=NULL)
{
int key;
string skey,value;
//extract string value of key into skey and convert it into integer using istringstream
//extract string value of key into value
//With the help of a new fstream object write into the file you want it to.
//erase the buffer for providing space for next input using file.erase() function
}

so i've got a bit further. i would've never believed that something like this can work, but it passes the right values. the problem is that it reads only the first line. here's the updated code:

file >> key;
file >> value;
d->insert(key, value);

how can i read the lines following the first one???

Well use getline function. It advances the file get pointer to next line automatically.Or even you can look upon f.seekg() function.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.