I have a game That I would like to release the first version of soon. The game is written in c++, but I would like to add a feature to were before the game starts, it connects to the internet, and downloads a file from my webpage to check to see if there is a new version for download.

Ive searched EVERYWHERE on how to do this in c++, and can't find anything. Does anyone know a tutorial were I could learn how? and it doesn't even have to be in c++. It can be in java, or any other language.

Recommended Answers

Open an HTTP connection to your server, then do a "get" to retrieve some information.

You'll also need to "digitally sign" whatever you upload to the server so that your clients (when they download it) will know that it is genuine.

Jump to Post

>Open an HTTP connection to your server, then do a "get" to retrieve some
>information.
You may use cURL(if you are using C )cURLpp(if you …

Jump to Post

All 7 Replies

are you talking about a update checker for your game?

example.. you release the game.. and after a couple of months. you release a update for your game...

so everytime the user plays the game .. it check first if the is available update for the game.???

are you talking about a update checker for your game?

example.. you release the game.. and after a couple of months. you release a update for your game...

so everytime the user plays the game .. it check first if the is available update for the game.???

Yes, thats exactly what I mean

okay.. i will try to find solution on your problem as soon as possible.. i will ask some of my sensai.

Open an HTTP connection to your server, then do a "get" to retrieve some information.

You'll also need to "digitally sign" whatever you upload to the server so that your clients (when they download it) will know that it is genuine.

>Open an HTTP connection to your server, then do a "get" to retrieve some
>information.
You may use cURL(if you are using C )cURLpp(if you are using C++) as a library which implements HTTP/GET and HTTP/POST

Okay. Thanks guys, but that went a bit over my head. I undersand what your saying, but I'm not sure how to do all that. Can you point me towards a tutorial on how to do all that stuff you said? that would be great.

You are going to have to look into socket programming i think. ive never done it myself, so i cant really say much on it, but i think its dependent on the platform you're using.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.