Good evening dear programmers,

As of Windows Vista, SHGetFolderPath is deprecated, and replaced by SHGetKnownFolderPath.

However, my program must be compatible with both OS versions. I used GetVersionEx to determine the version of the OS that the user uses, but the problem comes later on:

main.cpp `SHGetKnownFolderPath' undeclared (first use this function)

I used to get the same problem with SHGetFolderPath which was solved by adding the following to the top of the cpp-file:
#define _WIN32_IE 0x0500

However, SHGetKnownFolderPath is for 502 or higher, and trying a value above it won't solve it, so I'm looking for help here.

If someone has any knowledge about this I'd be really greatful hearing your thoughts.

I think you will need to Vista update to the Windows Platform SDK. I just tried to get it but kept getting link errors, so I don't know what's going on unless the M$ site is just too busy at the moment.

That sounds incredibly bad, I really hope there's another sollution.

According to MSDN the function is supposed to be in shlobj.h, but it isn't there in my version of the WPSDK. Since that is a Vista only function then it has to be in the Vista update to the SDK.

The links are working now and I'm currently installing it.

[edit]Ok, download and install finished. SHGetKnownFolderPath() is in that header file. So if you want to use that function then you need to download and install that sdk too.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.