Hi,
i completed my coding which was related to searching files with .cap extension and then making out folders with a number contained in the file and then putting the files in their respective folders.

now when i checked it ,it worked fine and created folders and sorted about 1.5GB of data . But then suddenlly it stopped working and since then it is not getting executed.

Does anyone out there have a idea as to why did it happen and why is it not working now?

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

You mean to say it worked for a while and not working now....?

yes i mean to say just that..
even i fail to understand as to howcan it happen?

yes i mean to say just that..
even i fail to understand as to howcan it happen?

I really have no idea why this could happen, maybe a memory leak or something?
Anyway, could you post down your code, together with the .cap files you were using before you got this problem?
(Also the executable please, but zip it up all first!)

How did you compile your .exe, in debug or in release mode?

What compiler are you using?
Edit:: After doing a forum search, I could figure out that you are using Dev-C++, is this still correct?
If yes, then my advice would be to get a decent compiler, the newest Dev-C++ comes with MinGW 3.4.2, the current MinGW release is already: 4.4.0 (watch the version number!)

If your code works fine with other Daniweb members, then probably your compiler installation is broken or something, you could try reinstalling Dev-C++ if you want to continue using it.

hi,
well i am sorry there to be late to reply..

now the problem i am facing is that it is working fine for relatively lesser number of files but not working where it is supposed to..

i can certainly paste my code here but cannot copy the .cap file and the .inf files as they are lakhs in number.

i made my code in dev C++.

>but cannot copy the .cap file and the .inf files as they are lakhs in number.

Whoops! Sorry, you told that it was 1.5GB
Well, could you try your program with another compiler then?
(for example you could go and get the Code::Blocks IDE)

Well it can be due to many reasons:

1>A particular case in a program which comes up only in case of a large number of files.Say something like a condition of counter overflow with regard to an integer variable which is taken up as a counter.
2>Memory leak, which makes the program to crash after some time as the data we are dealing with is quite huge.
3>A mishandelled exit condition or something.
4>May be an operation with the counter variable which results in an illegal memory access which eventually results in a segmentation fault only in case of large values.

Well I pretty much feel its one among reason 1 and 2.

@tux: I too was shocked to hear about a program which executed for sometime and then aborted and then refused to work.Its kind of AI implementation in C lplz ;)

1.5 GB was the amount it sorted before collapsing.

ok..thankyou for the advise..i will certainly give it a try..
but i really was looking forward if it could work with this..
do the exe's stop on there own?

@csurfer

no there is no such condition in the code so that is certainly not an issue..
butfor the other cases do you have a solution?

do the exe's stop on there own?

They can...In case of signals generated by the operating system to stop them due to extreme conditions. Or due to some of the situations mentioned in my above post.

@csurfer

no there is no such condition in the code so that is certainly not an issue..
butfor the other cases do you have a solution?

Well there is always a possibility for a miss intrepretation in coding or a mistake by the programmer so its better to check once more even if you are sure.Others can be be found out by carefully going through the code.Which is something like we acting as compilers. :)

and is there no way out ?
i mean can nothing be done ?

and is there no way out ?
i mean can nothing be done ?

Well you can always find a way out if you want.;).

You can post in the program source code(you program which does the sorting work not the thing getting sorted.)May be we can help you somehow atleast in that way :)

i think it is an error i cant get a solution of..
i thank all those who extended help to me..
thankyou very much

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.