We have an ancient WordPerfect Office Notebook 3.01 program that contains my firm's file room tracking and numbering data. The file that contains the information is named: matters.fil and I have been unable to find a way to convert the data to a more current file. I can't even find anything in the program to export or import. I have been searching the web for file converter programs that convert this type of data, but have not been able to find any.
Any help or advice would be appreciated. And please let me know if you need any more information.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hmm, you have a problem. I am also unable to find a converter.
You may, however, be able to open the file in notepad (if you are on windows) and extract the information manually. Expect to see gibberish along with your text. This is normal. Also note that the text will be unformatted.
That program outdates me! If those documents were stored on floppies, than the text may be corrupted a bit. Good luck!

Can you print the file, using the ancient application?

If so, you should be able to do a print to a generic "text only" type printer, and capture the output in a file.

If you could upload the file somewhere and post a link (as long as it's not something confidential), I could take a look at the format and see if I can hack together some kind of program to parse out the data.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.