I'm an AP level computer science student, and I learned VB last year before touching in basic C++ techniques. Now, I was wondering as I (kinda) learn Java (I'm crap at it) what the overall net worth of having VB skills are? I mean, Java seems to be THE language to know, if not C++, and I'm not sure if it would be a waste or not to go into more VB skills in my free time.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Yeah I know lots of langs, and VB out of all of them is my least favriote.
But it is good for createing apps fast if that's what you need it for.
I still would learn it just in case you need it one day. In the world of .net you never know.

i agree.. also C++ is highly desirable because you can use it for virtually any computer program: you can modify game maps, open object-oriented programs, do web sites, the whole 9 yards. Java is okay, and so is J++, but C++ is by far more useful.

I seriously recommend Perl (http://www.perl.org), or another general-purpose scripting language. Perl in particular is well-suited to a large number of tasks (some better than others): shell scripting, database operations, web applications, use as "glue" for other applications, etc.

The more diverse your experience with platforms and tools, the higher your earning power and ability to find work that genuinely interests you.

Just a note, when I was working with a recuiter, I overheard a conversation that c# programmers were in very high demand and the recruiter had several positions waiting for programmers to become available.

That being said, it doesn't hurt to be familiar with many languages since you never know where you might be working next and what they might need.

Something to think about.

C++ is an industry standard and as such it is obligatory. Java is proprietary, but for years has been quite opened and code written many years ago will work OK. Be aware of platforms raised over night where today's bleeding cutting edge becomes history tommorow.

I agree to a point, c use to be an industry standard also, though. It's a fine line between embracing the technology of the future and following a dead end.
Broad knowledge is your best defense.

Absoultely and definitely! Well defined, nonproprietary or industrial standards like XML, HTML, C/C++, PHP, Javascript etc. etc. etc.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.