Hello,

I am attempting to convert a Windows BMP byte stream/array into a PNG format. I am unable to modify how this byte stream comes in.

My attempts:
I've tried using lodepng (http://members.gamedev.net/lode/projects/LodePNG/), but it only supports RGBA format for bitmaps (mine is only BGR, I believe). I've also tried the Windows Imaging Component (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc500647.aspx). However, it gets stuck at this piece of code:

CComPtr<IStream> sourceStream;
sourceStream->Write(bitmap.data.data, bitmap.data.size, NULL);

Here, bitmap.data.data is the BMP byte stream. I'm attempting to write this into the IStream for use with the WIC. However, an assertion fails. It believes that I'm passing it a null array, which I'm not (I have verified this).

I know that my other option is using libpng, but I'm completely confused as to how it works, even after reading the documentation.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, I found all of those on google already :) My data stream is having problems with the WIC. It doesn't like it.

You don't need any code. (nearly..)
Conversion is native in Win32 (Shell or GDI apis)

Comments
Another one of your 100% non-helpfull posts

GDI, not GDI+, correct? I'm unable to use GDI+ in this one. Do you have any information about this?

Ok, so I got it working using LodePNG:

LodePNG::Encoder encoder;
encoder.infoRaw.color.colorType = 2; //RGB
encoder.encode(buffer, out_image, WIDTH, HEIGHT); //out_image is the vector containing the RGB bitmap data, buffer is the output vector
LodePNG::saveFile(buffer, "C:\\files\\PNGTest_OUT.png"); // a test png file is saved to make sure that the conversion worked

However, LodePNG appears to be way too slow for my application. I can open, convert, and save an image every 3 seconds with the most optimal settings. However, I would like to be able to do at least 10 VGA-sized conversions per second. I hear that libpng's use of zlib makes it run much faster, but I have no idea how to use conversion with libpng. Does anyone have any suggestions or links to documentation besides what's available at the libpng website?

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.