Sorry I am asking a beginners problem between professional discussion.But I realy confused witch one is better.qt, gtk, wx, opengl or one else.please guide me with a clear comparison.
Thanks dears.

Editor ...
moved from Re: Python GUI Programming
(rule is: ask question in regular forum)

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

All Python GUI toolkits are usefull, 'better' depends on your application, your version of Python, your OS and your skill level.

Tkinter:
comes with all versions of Python and all Operating Systems. Based on TCL language. It is the best toolkit for the beginner to experiment with, and has lots of example code. Misses some fancy widgets, but has all the basic widgets. The IDLE IDE is written with Tkinter.

wxPython:
many widgets, also many fancy widgets, opengl is built-in. Is somewhat more complex, but has lots of example code. Based on wxWindows which is written in C++. Works with most Operating Systems. Not out for Python3 yet. IDE's like DrPython, UliPad and SPE are written with wxPython.

PyQT:
many widgets, based on QT written in C++. PyQT is available for Python2 and Python3 on all OSs. Have to dig for good example code. The only toolkit that may have a license issue for commercial use. The Eric IDE is written with PyQT.

PyGTK:
similar to PyQT and based on GTK (written in C++ I think). Naturally at home on Linux systems, hard to install on the Windows OS. Some code samples can be found. The popular Geany IDE is written with GTK (not PyGTK).

The popular Geany IDE is written with GTK (not PyGTK).

Wing IDE is written in PyGTK

I would suggest wxPython, for easy learning curve (to my experience). Why? Because I grasped the basics even before I could be fluent in Python. I almost learned them simultaneously (though Python came first) :)
PyQT? No, unless you will never develop any commercial app or you are willing to $. PyGTK? Yes why not? But if you want to!

Thank dears.So I have to chose one between wxpython and pygtk.if one is hard to learn is not matter, I do it by more practice.your mean that pygtk is better to learn?
and another question.to use a database I learned sql language and there is not basic differences between mysql, sqlite and etc.
Are the graphics like them.my mean for example the qt writing is like the gtk or wx.

Thank dears.So I have to chose one between wxpython and pygtk...your mean that pygtk is better to learn?
and another question.to use a database I learned sql language and there is not basic differences between mysql, sqlite and etc.

You don't need to choose one, you can learn them all and be your own judge for their pros/cons. None of them are "better" to learn, as all learning is beneficial and will bolster your skill set.

There are different implementations of SQL, and for each one there are different modules to take advantage of. This is another choice that depends on your necessity. I've used postgresql in the past with Python and had great success.

wxPYthon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like wxPython. However, if you use the newer Python 3.1, it could take long time for wxPython to be available. So now I am learning PyQT.

Again, Tkinter isn't bad to learn in the beginning, just to get used to GUI programming concepts. To me PyGT is really complex, try to make listbox display and you see.

Thanks dears.good luck.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.