Is there a gui library that has already been ported to python 3? I'm interested in using some of the new python 3 features in the back end for my project.

Recommended Answers

Is there a gui library that has already been ported to python 3? I'm interested in using some of the new python 3 features in the back end for my project.

For the time being you will have to use good old Tkinter that ships with Python3.0.

Jump to Post

hmm, which do you guys use often and prefer?

Jump to Post

All 8 Replies

For the time being you will have to use good old Tkinter that ships with Python3.0.

I completely forgot about Tkinter. It would probably work for the time being.

hmm, which do you guys use often and prefer?

I prefer wxpython.
Honestly I will never move to Python 3 until wxpython comes out!

I happen to prefer pyQt, which isn't out for python 3 yet.

There seems to be no Tkinter in python three either, unless I'm doing it wrong:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#3>", line 1, in <module>
    import Tkinter
ImportError: No module named Tkinter

EDIT: Back in my Tkinter days, I was used to importing Tkinter, not tkinter. Problem solved.

Here is my console output on Mandriva linux 2009:

Python 3.0 (r30:67503, Dec  9 2008, 13:32:06)
[GCC 4.3.2] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import tkinter
>>>

I think that all library module names have been converted to lowercase in python 3.0.

Here is my console output on Mandriva linux 2009:

Python 3.0 (r30:67503, Dec  9 2008, 13:32:06)
[GCC 4.3.2] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import tkinter
>>>

I think that all library module names have been converted to lowercase in python 3.0.

Good observation!
Before Python 3.0 the wrapper Tkinter.py was called, now Tkinter has turned into a more modern package with the directory name tkinter that uses _init__.py as the wrapper.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.