Just want to get ideas on which modern language could replace good old Basic, so the learning curve isn't too galling.
I am partial to Python. The reasons:
1. It is an interpreted language, but can be compiled.
2. It has a very efficient memory manager built-in.
3. Lots of info and code libraries on the NET.
4. It is free (#1 for some folks!).
5. It has a very readable code.
6. No need to declare variable types.
7. Very modern handling strings, lists, sets etc.
8. Some rather nice and free IDEs available.
9. Also some very helpful forum sites.
10. Works on Windows, Linux and some other OSs.