You may want to investigate makefiles. Then you can use your favorite editor and still write modular code the correct way.

I just had a glance at how to write makefiles. Looks messy(will look into that later). So opened Dev C++ instead, and tried to work with projects for the first time in DevC++( used visual C++ projects bfor though). The program compiles without error but i get errors while linking, saying undefined reference to xyz. Obviously the linker is not finding the definitions of the declared functions. I did include the .cpp files containing the definitions in my project, but still getting the same errors. What should i do?

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

>What should i do?
Post a reply to the thread that this question is concerning rather than starting a new one so that we have a clue what you're talking about. ;)

I can't see your computer, but it sounds like you have a missing source file in your project list.

[IMG]http://img140.exs.cx/img140/3929/devc3ft.th.gif[/IMG]

You may need to add the file containing the definition the linker needs.

[IMG]http://img140.exs.cx/img140/7249/devc29xk.th.gif[/IMG]

I just had a glance at how to write makefiles. Looks messy

Yeah, makefiles are their own special little hell. But if you get up there on the learning curve they can be useful far beyond just working with code.

Trust me Dave, i did attach each and everyfile file required for the project. Like if I used Linked list i added both linkedlist.cpp and linkedlist.h to the project. Still the linker reports undefined reference to linkedlist methods.

Where is the original thread. I might be able to have a look...

Where is the original thread. I might be able to have a look...

The original thread deals with smthg totally different :)

Dev-C++ creates a new makefile every time it compiles. Messing with the old one is futile, it gets overwritten.

Trust me Dave, i did attach each and everyfile file required for the project. Like if I used Linked list i added both linkedlist.cpp and linkedlist.h to the project. Still the linker reports undefined reference to linkedlist methods.

Execute -> Rebuild All should fix it.

Execute -> Rebuild All should fix it.

I guess his problem would have been solved by now :mrgreen:

exa of class i'm assuming you are using

class c
{
public :
 class a * ac;
 class b * bc;
 c ( const c& );
 ~c(void);
};

/* source file */
c::c(const c&) { /* */ };
c::~c(){/**/};

/******************/
/* making a global declaration should resolve your undefined reference */
/*****************/
a * ac;
b * bc;
commented: This thread has been dead for 3.5 YEARS. Check thread dates before posting. +1
commented: Correcting the green -2

Try this solution:
Donot put the implementaion of the each function in file
but put it in header file under the class definition and remove the implementaion file

I am facing linker error in Dev-Cpp using functions line,setcolor etc...
help me out

i also have a prob but a little diff...

when i run the code every time i got a flash of src ..

after this my Awast anitivirus gave me a massage.. which is "Countinue Execute" i press on it and and coudent find out the OUTPUT secreen...

can any one solve my prob...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.