Hello!
I am having a problem with my program.I have to write a program that uses repitition and
switch statements to print the song "The Twelve Days of Christmas." One switch statement
should be used to print the days (i.e "First","Second" etc). A separate switch statement
should be used to print the remainder of each verse.
But the program I have written do not fulfill the above conditions. I don't know how to
use the two switch statements that alternate after one another. I am in a need of help.
Can any one help? I'll be thankful.

#include<iostream.h>
#include<conio.h>
void main()
    {
    int i,j;
    for(i=1;i<=24;i++)
     for(j=1;j<=24;j++)
        {
        if(i%2==1)
        switch(i)
                {
                case 1:
                cout<<"On the first day of Christmas\nmy true love sent to me:"<<endl;
                break;
                case 3:
                cout<<"On the second day of Christmas\nmy true love sent to me:"<<endl;
                break;
                case 5:
                cout<<"On the third day of Christmas\nmy true love sent to me:"<<endl;
                break;
                case 7:
                cout<<"On the fourth day of Christmas\nmy true love sent to me:"<<endl;
                break;
                case 9:
                cout<<"On the fifth day of Christmas\nmy true love sent to me:"<<endl;
                break;
                case 11:
                cout<<"On the sixth day of Christmas\nmy true love sent to me:"<<endl;
                break;
                case 13:
                cout<<"On the seventh day of Christmas\nmy true love sent to me:"<<endl;
                break;
                case 15:
                cout<<"On the eighth day of Christmas\nmy true love sent to me:"<<endl;
                break;
                case 17:
                cout<<"On the ninth day of Christmas\nmy true love sent to me:"<<endl;
                break;
                case 19:
                cout<<"On the tenth day of Christmas\nmy true love sent to me:"<<endl;
                break;
                case 21:
                cout<<"On the eleventh day of Christmas\nmy true love sent to me:"<<endl;
                break;
                case 23:
                cout<<"On the twelfth day of Christmas\nmy true love sent to me:"<<endl;
                break;
                default:
                break;
                }
                }

if(j%2==0)
        {
                switch(j)
                {
                case 2:
                cout<<"A Partridge in a Pear Tree"<<endl;
                break;
                case 4:
                cout<<"Two Turtle Doves and\na Partridge in a Pear Tree"<<endl;
                break;
                case 6:
                cout<<"Three French Hens\nTwo Turtle Doves and\na Partridge in a Pear Tree"<<endl;
                break;
                case 8:
                cout<<"Four Calling Birds\nThree French Hens\nTwo Turtle Doves\nand a Partridge in a Pear Tree"<<endl;
                break;
                case 10:
                cout<<"Five Golden Rings\nFour Calling Birds\nThree French Hens\nTwo Turtle Doves\nand a Partridge in a Pear Tree"<<endl;
                break;
                case 12:
                cout<<"Six Geese a Laying\nFive Golden Rings\nFour Calling Birds\nThree French Hens\nTwo Turtle Doves\nand a Partridge in a Pear Tree"<<endl;
                break;
                case 14:
                cout<<"Seven Swans a Swimming\nSix Geese a Laying\nFive Golden Rings\nFour Calling Birds\nThree French Hens\nTwo Turtle Doves\nand a Partridge in a Pear Tree"<<endl;
                break;
                case 16:
                cout<<"Eight Maids a Milking\nSeven Swans a Swimming\nSix Geese a Laying\nFive Golden Rings\nFour Calling Birds\nThree French Hens\nTwo Turtle Doves\nand a Partridge in a Pear Tree"<<endl;
                break;
                case 18:
                cout<<"Nine Ladies Dancing\nEight Maids a Milking\nSeven Swans a Swimming\nSix Geese a Laying\nFive Golden Rings\nFour Calling Birds\nThree French Hens\nTwo Turtle Doves\nand a Partridge in a Pear Tree"<<endl;
                break;
                case 20:
                cout<<"Ten Lords a Leaping\nNine Ladies Dancing\nEight Maids a Milking\nSeven Swans a Swimming\nSix Geese a Laying\nFive Golden Rings\nFour Calling Birds\nThree French Hens\nTwo Turtle Doves\nand a Partridge in a Pear Tree"<<endl;
                break;
                case 22:
                cout<<"Eleven Pipers Piping\nTen Lords a Leaping\nNine Ladies Dancing\nEight Maids a Milking\nSeven Swans a Swimming\nSix Geese a Laying\nFive Golden Rings\nFour Calling Birds\nThree French Hens\nTwo Turtle Doves\nand a Partridge in a Pear Tree"<<endl;
                break;
                case 24:
                cout<<"12 Drummers Drumming\nEleven Pipers Piping\nTen Lords a Leaping\nNine Ladies Dancing\nEight Maids a Milking\nSeven Swans a Swimming\nSix Geese a Laying\nFive Golden Rings\nFour Calling Birds\nThree French Hens\nTwo Turtle Doves\nand a Partridge in a Pear Tree"<<endl;
                break;
                default:
                break;
                }
        }
    getch();
    }

Perhaps more details on the exact program spec and your programming experience? It may have an impact on the advice to give.

I am wondering whether this is one of those rare cases where one takes advantage of the fact that switch statements can "fall through" without a break command and display everything. And perhaps you are also supposed to use arrays? Maybe not, but they could help. I imagine I'd use for-loops rather than switch statements, but switch is doable.

string numbers[13] = {"Zero", "One", "Two", "Three", ...};
string numbersPossessive[13] = {"", "first", "second", "third", ...};
string gifts[13] =
{
    "",
    "partridge in a pear tree",
    "turtle doves",
};

Putting it in arrays sorts of cleans it up, in my opinion, but you don't have to. A switch would work, but the code is longer:

cout << "On the ";
switch (i)
{
    case 1: cout << "first"; break;
    case 2: cout << "scond"; break;
    // etc.
}

cout << " day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...\n";

// now do your second switch, but without the break statements.

switch (i)
{
    case 12: cout << "12 drummers drumming\n";
    case 11: cout << "11 Pipers piping\n";
    // etc.
}

The switch WITHOUT the break statements will display everything AFTER its particular case. Still, I think the program might be better with for-loops rather than switch statements. And consider using arrays for the text.

Thanks for the help. I'll try it again with the changes you have said

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.