Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by mahela007
Featured Replies

Maybe a little example will help ... [code=python]import sys args = sys.argv print(args) print( "Source file: %s" % args[0] ) # use any of these arguments in your code print( "Argument one: %s" % args[1] ) print( "Argument two: %s" % args[2] ) """ my output after saving this code … Read More

• It allows your program to launch other programs and communicate with them. Read More

That's exactly where I checked. I don't understand what the documentation says..
More specifically I don't understand this
"sys.argv¶

The list of command line arguments passed to a Python script. argv[0] is the script name (it is operating system dependent whether this is a full pathname or not). If the command was executed using the -c command line option to the interpreter, argv[0] is set to the string '-c'. If no script name was passed to the Python interpreter, argv[0] is the empty string."

Maybe a little example will help ...

import sys

args = sys.argv

print(args)
print( "Source  file: %s" % args[0] )
# use any of these arguments in your code
print( "Argument one: %s" % args[1] )
print( "Argument two: %s" % args[2] )

"""
my output after saving this code as sysargs1.py and 
entering a few arguments on the command line -->
['D:/Python25/Bull/sysargs1.py', 'myarg1', 'myarg2']
Source  file: D:/Python25/Bull/sysargs1.py
Argument one: myarg1
Argument two: myarg2
"""
Comments
A short ,clear post. .I deal for forums

So for the last two to have values, is it compulsory for the program to be run via command line?

You can run it with module subprocess as well

import subprocess
child = subprocess.Popen("sysargs1.py myarg1 myrag2", shell=True)
This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.