I am trying to read data from a bloodpressure meter that has a usb interface that windows recognizes as a HID device. The BloodPressure meter comes with no documentation or software for its USB port. but other meters similar to this one allow you to download data from it about tests. I have downloaded examples in C# 2 of them, the first one is WAY too complicated as its written to control a particular game controller and the other just has errors in it where it parses the data wrong, but I dug through it enough where I can get the "path" to the device.

but I can't seem to figure out how to read data from the device to find out what is can. Does anyone have an suggestions or examples?

I am going to continue to read up and hack around, just though I ask for a little help.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

>>I have downloaded examples in C# 2 of them, the first one is WAY too complicated as its written to control a particular game controller and the other just has errors in it where it parses the data wrong

A game controller with a blood pressure monitor? I'm lost. As long as you can get an example of source code that sends/receive data then just write your own parsing code and you should be OK, right?

A game controller with a blood pressure monitor? I'm lost. As long as you can get an example of source code that sends/receive data then just write your own parsing code and you should be OK, right?

lol, the blood pressure monitor was from a series that allows you to graph your blood pressure over time, just this particular one was a cheaper version and not supported by any particular software. but windows identifies it as HID compliant and gives me Vendor and Program IDs to use and get a device path.

I have code for that. I understand that as well. but the 2 examples I downloaded have problems, the first one has report classes specially written for a particular device that sends data and receives a button click event. while the other example I have has an issue with parsing hex took me a bit to fix that but then it got me an understanding of finding all HID devices and picking the one I want and developing a path to it. which I can get...

But I don't understand how to "get" or "read" data from the device, the device says "USB" on its screen when plugged in, so I know the device knows its connected.

I can't find enough information on creating an "inputreport" for a HID device. It has to do with asking for data but Im baffled. This isn't really for me. My Girlfriend's father wants it, he bought this device not knowing it had an interface for the PC, and he's always helping me with things so when he asked me about this I really wanted to help.

the monitor stores X amount of tests that you can recall with the menu and Ideally i would like to be able to read them to a CSV file he can open with Excel and create charts with. but just getting something out of the device is where I am stuck.

Like I said, Im still hacking around with it. I'm gonna do my best to figure it out. But I Will eventually have to get on with my life.

thanks for the reply scott.

I have figured out how to communicate with HID devices well enough to know what features a device supports, but as for finding out how to access data stored in memory on a device. Im at loss. i guess this is something outside the current scope of my sills. I will try this again in the future when I have advanced further.

#Region Shameless Advertising
back to my more enjoyable projects of creating custom drawn controls and my FormsExtention lib. look for that one in the future everyone, I will post a link when its done. Its just a simple and free library that has small easy time saving classes that keeps your main form's code simple and clean. examples are a static "Notifier" class as simple to use as the MessageBox class, just pass a string or two to it and you get a pop up above the tray area, start with windows registry key creator and checker class, save form state to xml class, the hold focus class I have already posted on the forum ect. ect.
#endregion

could you succeed to read data from blood pressure meter

Nah, I figured out how to identify it was plugged in, but that's about it.

maybe you could have a look at this site

yes I am the in same state as you. I could only detect the device ,send data but no more :( Are you still working on this issue DiamondDrake?

ddanbe thanks for your help. I have tried this code before but there is no improvement I am still in same situation. Do you have another idea ?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.