What's the best free C Compiler or IDE available?

Recommended Answers

All 21 Replies

Hello,

Depends on what you are writing. For simple C or C++ programs, I like emacs and a Linux command prompt with the gcc or g++ compilers. If I am on my Mac, then XCode is really a cool piece of work. I also have Kdevelop and some other tools installed on my Linux box to do more advanced things there.

I am sure others have their favorites.

Christian

I'm using windows though, know of any windows IDEs?

Microsoft Visual C++... great IDE, very easy to use, but costly...
you could always go for Dev-C++, it should work fine for you

>Microsoft Visual C++... great IDE, very easy to use, but costly...
The standard edition is only $99US. Hardly costly unless you're a student with no cash. Though Dev-C++ seems to be a favorite among the freebies.

People on ebay sell used versions of MSVC for even less.

but it is not ANSII right?

>but it is not ANSII right?
Visual C++ .NET 2003 and later are conforming enough to be among the top rated compilers.

>Microsoft Visual C++... great IDE, very easy to use, but costly...
The standard edition is only $99US. Hardly costly unless you're a student with no cash. Though Dev-C++ seems to be a favorite among the freebies.

Hey, nothing wrong with being a poor college student..

And of the 3 c++ classes at my university... if you don't work in the labs which are emacs on unix g++...

they tell you to get the dev-C++

>Hey, nothing wrong with being a poor college student..
If you're going to post something defensive then I'll say something to deserve it: Poor college students are losers! :rolleyes:

>if you don't work in the labs which are emacs on unix g++...
vi is better. ;):mrgreen:

Let the flaming begin!

>Hey, nothing wrong with being a poor college student..
If you're going to post something defensive then I'll say something to deserve it: Poor college students are losers! :rolleyes:

>if you don't work in the labs which are emacs on unix g++...
vi is better. ;):mrgreen:

Let the flaming begin!

Better yet... I am a college student from West Virginia, so not only am i poor, but also a redneck hillbilly with no shoes... (i think thats a step below a loser?) And yes, its amazing i know but we do have computers.

I have never used VI so i cant compare...

Dev-C++ has got to be the best in content for price.

gotta love the price of free software. :)...

I used to have Microsoft Visual C++ and I deleted it. It screwed up my OS somehow and I had to reload windows. Downloaded bloodshed dev c++ and its working good.

>It screwed up my OS somehow
Wow, that's a very technical description of the problem. Oddly enough, this is the first time I've heard of Visual C++ "screwing up" the OS. I'll bet that it wasn't as much the program as other junk you had not mixing well with the program. Malware perhaps?

>Downloaded bloodshed dev c++ and its working good.
Well, DUH! You probably installed Dev-C++ on a clean system right after reinstalling Windows. Installations have a tendency to work better right after a format. :rolleyes:

I love how people always blame the symptom rather than the cause.

Yeah, we all know microsoft sells malware for $100.

Hello,

vi is not a compiler, or an environment. It is an editor. My personal favorite editor is pico, but emacs is a nice second. I only do crontab editing in vi.

There are times that I have seen Visual Studio clobber other libraries and blow up the computer. I do not recall what the setup order we determined was best to use.

Christian

Yeah, we all know microsoft sells malware for $100.

Oh, I see. You're another mindless Microsoft-hater. I'll remember that and treat you accordingly.

Narue works for microsoft?? :p

>Narue works for microsoft??
No. Microsoft offered me a job, but I didn't want to relocate.

for C and c++ i use the mingw command line for compile and vis c++ for the editor, i personally find that the command line compiler is faster then the vis c++ compiler. (my opinion nothing more)

>Narue works for microsoft??
No. Microsoft offered me a job, but I didn't want to relocate.

Lucky you.

I am 95% sure I will have to relocate to find a decent job. (although I don't mind completely, there are things about home you would miss.)

Visual studio doesn't mess up your system (though maybe some pirated versions may, but that's justice :) ).
It does of course allow you to write programs that do mess up your system, that's the power of C :)

Of course if you have old programs that require a very specific version of some library installing anything newer may kill that program...

Hello,

vi is not a compiler, or an environment. It is an editor. My personal favorite editor is pico, but emacs is a nice second. I only do crontab editing in vi.

There are times that I have seen Visual Studio clobber other libraries and blow up the computer. I do not recall what the setup order we determined was best to use.

Christian

Thats what happened I think. I would get tons of DLL errors from programs that never used to give them after installing Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 IDE. So I had to format my computer to fix it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.