What's the best free C Compiler or IDE available?

Recommended Answers

Hello,

Depends on what you are writing. For simple C or C++ programs, I like emacs and a Linux command prompt with the gcc or g++ compilers. If I am on my Mac, then XCode is really a cool piece of work. I also have Kdevelop and some other …

Jump to Post

Microsoft Visual C++... great IDE, very easy to use, but costly...
you could always go for Dev-C++, it should work fine for you

Jump to Post

>Microsoft Visual C++... great IDE, very easy to use, but costly...
The standard edition is only $99US. Hardly costly unless you're a student with no cash. Though Dev-C++ seems to be a favorite among the freebies.

Jump to Post

People on ebay sell used versions of MSVC for even less.

Jump to Post

but it is not ANSII right?

Jump to Post

All 21 Replies

Hello,

Depends on what you are writing. For simple C or C++ programs, I like emacs and a Linux command prompt with the gcc or g++ compilers. If I am on my Mac, then XCode is really a cool piece of work. I also have Kdevelop and some other tools installed on my Linux box to do more advanced things there.

I am sure others have their favorites.

Christian

I'm using windows though, know of any windows IDEs?

Microsoft Visual C++... great IDE, very easy to use, but costly...
you could always go for Dev-C++, it should work fine for you

The standard edition is only $99US. Hardly costly unless you're a student with no cash. Though Dev-C++ seems to be a favorite among the freebies.

People on ebay sell used versions of MSVC for even less.

but it is not ANSII right?

>but it is not ANSII right?
Visual C++ .NET 2003 and later are conforming enough to be among the top rated compilers.

Hey, nothing wrong with being a poor college student..

And of the 3 c++ classes at my university... if you don't work in the labs which are emacs on unix g++...

they tell you to get the dev-C++

>Hey, nothing wrong with being a poor college student..
If you're going to post something defensive then I'll say something to deserve it: Poor college students are losers! :rolleyes:

>if you don't work in the labs which are emacs on unix g++...
vi is better. ;):mrgreen:

Let the flaming begin!

>Hey, nothing wrong with being a poor college student..
If you're going to post something defensive then I'll say something to deserve it: Poor college students are losers! :rolleyes:

>if you don't work in the labs which are emacs on unix g++...
vi is better. ;):mrgreen:

Let the flaming begin!

Better yet... I am a college student from West Virginia, so not only am i poor, but also a redneck hillbilly with no shoes... (i think thats a step below a loser?) And yes, its amazing i know but we do have computers.

I have never used VI so i cant compare...

Dev-C++ has got to be the best in content for price.

gotta love the price of free software. :)...

I used to have Microsoft Visual C++ and I deleted it. It screwed up my OS somehow and I had to reload windows. Downloaded bloodshed dev c++ and its working good.

>It screwed up my OS somehow
Wow, that's a very technical description of the problem. Oddly enough, this is the first time I've heard of Visual C++ "screwing up" the OS. I'll bet that it wasn't as much the program as other junk you had not mixing well with the program. Malware perhaps?

>Downloaded bloodshed dev c++ and its working good.
Well, DUH! You probably installed Dev-C++ on a clean system right after reinstalling Windows. Installations have a tendency to work better right after a format. :rolleyes:

I love how people always blame the symptom rather than the cause.

Yeah, we all know microsoft sells malware for $100.

Hello,

vi is not a compiler, or an environment. It is an editor. My personal favorite editor is pico, but emacs is a nice second. I only do crontab editing in vi.

There are times that I have seen Visual Studio clobber other libraries and blow up the computer. I do not recall what the setup order we determined was best to use.

Christian

Yeah, we all know microsoft sells malware for $100.

Oh, I see. You're another mindless Microsoft-hater. I'll remember that and treat you accordingly.

Narue works for microsoft?? :p

>Narue works for microsoft??
No. Microsoft offered me a job, but I didn't want to relocate.

for C and c++ i use the mingw command line for compile and vis c++ for the editor, i personally find that the command line compiler is faster then the vis c++ compiler. (my opinion nothing more)

>Narue works for microsoft??
No. Microsoft offered me a job, but I didn't want to relocate.

Lucky you.

I am 95% sure I will have to relocate to find a decent job. (although I don't mind completely, there are things about home you would miss.)

Visual studio doesn't mess up your system (though maybe some pirated versions may, but that's justice :) ).
It does of course allow you to write programs that do mess up your system, that's the power of C :)

Of course if you have old programs that require a very specific version of some library installing anything newer may kill that program...

Hello,

vi is not a compiler, or an environment. It is an editor. My personal favorite editor is pico, but emacs is a nice second. I only do crontab editing in vi.

There are times that I have seen Visual Studio clobber other libraries and blow up the computer. I do not recall what the setup order we determined was best to use.

Christian

Thats what happened I think. I would get tons of DLL errors from programs that never used to give them after installing Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 IDE. So I had to format my computer to fix it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.19 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.