Start New Discussion within our Software Development Community

I have an application in VB6; I want to put part of its functionality onto the web. I have Visual Studio 2008 using VB, and am familiar with OO programming (in Java), VB6 programming, and with web programming, though not all in one place.

I would like general advice on where to look to make the best (re)use of what I've got -- there's a two-page report with hundreds of fields on it, generated with MS report designer, and that's the part I would most hate to have to generate from scratch. Can I convert it somehow? I see there's a conversion tool in 2008; will it convert the report? Is there a better tool? Am I better off re-creating the report from scratch?

I'm asking because I don't want to get (another) several days into this and discover it's one of those things that only works theoretically, put there because the product people said they had to have a migration path. If I have to bite the bullet, I'd rather not have chewed on a bunch of stale non-working features first.

Any general advice out there?

rc

Hi,
Read this article - Upgrading Data Access

SUMMARY: How are VB 6.0 Data Reports converted to .NET ?
Crystal Reports is the standard reporting tool in Visual Basic.NET. One of its most important advantages is the ability to convert a Microsoft Data Report (.dsr file) to a Crystal Report (.rpt file) through a relatively easy automated process. When a Data Report is converted, an equivalent Crystal Report is generated. The resulting report has the same design and data access as the original report.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.