Hey,

I've been trying to install pycURL on my Python install on this Mac for the past 3-4 days now and I can't seem to get it to work. I have easy_install setuptools installed and I've been using the command:

easy_install -U pycurl

and it finds the package just fine, but I get the error:

Using curl-config (libcurb 7.16.3) <-- I'll assume this means libcurl installed OK? That took me a while as well
unable to execute gcc: no such file or directory
error: Setup script exited with error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1

I read a blog post somewhere that suggested I change the path of my python install, it used to be something like /usr/bin/Python/, it's now located in /Library/frameworks/Python.framework/2.5/etc etc

I've tried moving the libcurl files into the /Library/ install but it didn't do anything. Basically I'm looking for a step-by-step walkthrough for installing Python (IDLE) on this Mac and getting pycURL installed on it. I'm a windows guy so I don't really know what I'm doing with this machine.

How should I go about cleaning up the installs I have already, and then how should I install the new one?

Any help appreciated!

unable to execute gcc: no such file or directory

You also have to have libcurl installed. PyCurl is just the Python bindings for libcurl. Apparently, you are installing from source and so have to compile with the C/C++ compiler installed (gcc). Try to find a compiled binary for libcurl and pyCurl for OSX instead. Failing that. you have to install gcc which I think is in the xcode package on OSX.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.