Hello all,

I have python 2.6 installed, i can see it in /usr/bin and I can run it in terminal. I cannot however seem to figure out how to open the Idle, or get the program to show in the redhat drop menu. Kinda new to linux (some ubuntu use, never had a problem that I could not solve reading other threads) but this is over 10 hours of trouble shooting and fedora is too cool to give up.

I am sure that it is just my ultra nube mind set holding me back.

Any thoughts?

moe

my specs

I am using fedora 13 off a 16GB pen drive, on a variety of different machines with different OS's, I have python 2.6 installed (acourding to terminal yum install...) I cant install 3.1 as it give me "configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH" when I try to run it. I dont care which will work so long as it works

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Try this command

python -c "import os, idlelib; execfile(os.path.join(os.path.split(idlelib.__file__)[0], 'idle.py'))"&

It should be a multiplatform command. If you can't import idlelib, it means that you must install the tkinter package.
Note that this simpler command also works

python -c "from idlelib import idle"&

About python 3, you should be able to install it with yum install python3 .

Thanks Griboulillis

The first command gave me a port binding error. Was python trying to go online? The second command got me right into Idle.

and yum installed python 3 no problem.

what command can I use to get to python3? Is there some place eithier online or in my filesystem that can tell me which command will get me to which program?

thanks for you help and patience

You will probably find python3 under /usr/bin/python3.

The port binding error is standard in idle: idle uses 2 processes, the first one to run idle GUI, and the second one to run your code. The 2 processes communicate through a port. It means that you cannot run 2 idle's at the same time (in fact there are alternatives to this: idle.py accepts command line options to run without a subprocess or to use another port).

If you are new to linux, most commands are installed in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin, and administrator commands in /bin , /sbin or /usr/sbin. The first tools to get info about a command are

$ mycommand -h      (or --help)
$ man mycommand

also you can use 'man mycommand' in google's search field :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.