Hi, <--- Newbie
I am trying to install the Boost libraries, specifically the Boost filesystem library.

Many of the libraries are header-files only. No building.
The Filesystem library requires me to build binaries... A new challenge, but I was able to pull it off.

However, the binaries are located in a labyrinth of directories:
C:\Program Files\boost\boost_1_40_0\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\build\msvc-10.0\debug\link-static\threading-multi
C:\Program Files\boost\boost_1_40_0\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\build\msvc-10.0\release\link-static\threading-multi
C:\Program Files\boost\boost_1_40_0\bin.v2\libs\system\build\msvc-10.0\debug\link-static\threading-multi
... to name 3 among many.

Shouldn't these *.lib files be aggregated with in a single \libs directory? Right now, I just add the precise directory from the huge sum of all directories to my library search folders setting in MSVC10, but after I use more and more Boost built libraries this is going to be excessive!

For example, right now I have two of the debug folders already added to my MSVC10 settings: "C:\Program Files\boost\boost_1_40_0\bin.v2\libs\system\build\msvc-10.0\debug\link-static\threading-multi;C:\Program Files\boost\boost_1_40_0\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\build\msvc-10.0\debug\link-static\threading-multi;" which is quite a mouthful! And it will only get worse as I add destinations for finding release copies of the *.lib, or other libraries...

What do I need to do to move all the libraries to a libs folder? I think I just missed a step.

Thanks.

Hi,

What do I need to do to move all the libraries to a libs folder? I think I just missed a step.

Thanks.

You are right,
these libraries should be installed in separate directory.
You should use install and prefix options to put these somewhere.
Look at widera.com.pl/boosting-mainmenu-14.html where is explained.

Regards,
Michal

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.