Member Avatar for packmule

Hi,
I am just trying to figure out how to access some data.
Currently it is stored in a spread sheet in the following form........

8/11/09      9/12/09  .... mm/dd/yy
name     score         score   ....  score
name2    score         score   ....  score

there will be many names (and more may be added at any time) also dates and scores will be added throughout the year for each name.
I will need to read the name with the date and score in order to do some calculations with the scores and print various reports and statistics. Because of the fluidity of data I was thinking Array List. But perhaps I can just use the spread sheet?
Basically each column is named by a date and each name row has scores in each date column or no score which represents null (not 0).
Any ideas?

Hi,
I am just trying to figure out how to access some data.
Currently it is stored in a spread sheet in the following form........

8/11/09      9/12/09  .... mm/dd/yy
name     score         score   ....  score
name2    score         score   ....  score

there will be many names (and more may be added at any time) also dates and scores will be added throughout the year for each name.
I will need to read the name with the date and score in order to do some calculations with the scores and print various reports and statistics. Because of the fluidity of data I was thinking Array List. But perhaps I can just use the spread sheet?
Basically each column is named by a date and each name row has scores in each date column or no score which represents null (not 0).
Any ideas?

But perhaps I can just use the spread sheet?

How would you do that? You have a text file, right? Or at least, you should, which means you want to export the spreadsheet as a plain old text files with values (drop any formulas, fonts, stuff like that). So you have a bunch of data in a text file and you need to read it in and do whatever with it. Presumably you want a class that has data members more or less corresponding to the spreadsheet columns.

You might choose to have a class like this:

class Test
{
    Date date;
    int score;
}

class Student
{
    String name;
    ArrayList <Test> tests;
}

One Student object per row of data. Have an ArrayList of type Student.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.