Hey guys, I have started java for a uni class. I am now using object oriented programming. I have taken vb so i know what functions/methods are. however i am having a hard time coding some programs for an assignment. I will try to make this thread as descriptive as possible so you can help me better. The text book i am using is murach's java se 6. its a pretty good book, but i am lost in this object oriented and methods part. i do not know how to have user input from one class passed through to another class. The link to the asignment is here. However i am not asking for someone to do the assignment. I am asking for help on how to pass variables and how/where to make the object. I really want to learn this so im not asking for a written program. I've attached a flow diagram that i used to map out how i think the program will work. i have attached my code so that you can see where i have lost my train of thought, or gone wrong. thank you in advance

Recommended Answers

I'm just gone give you example how this work with little different topic

public class Employee {

private int empNum;
	private String firstName;
	private String lastName;
	private String department;

public Employee(int empNum, String firstName, String lastName, String department) {
    	setEmployeeNumber(empNum);
    	setFirstName(firstName);
    	setLastName(lastName);
    	setDepartment(department);
    }

private void setEmployeeNumber(int …
Jump to Post

write a program that will accept an integer number from 0-9999. Then, convert this number into words

Start a new thread

Jump to Post

All 5 Replies

I'm just gone give you example how this work with little different topic

public class Employee {

private int empNum;
	private String firstName;
	private String lastName;
	private String department;

public Employee(int empNum, String firstName, String lastName, String department) {
    	setEmployeeNumber(empNum);
    	setFirstName(firstName);
    	setLastName(lastName);
    	setDepartment(department);
    }

private void setEmployeeNumber(int empNum){ this.empNum = empNum; }
    public int getEmployeeNumber(){ return empNum;}

private void setFirstName(String firstName){ this.firstName = firstName;}
    public String getFirstName(){ return firstName;}

private void setLastName(String lastName){ this.lastName = lastName;}
    public String getLastName(){ return lastName;}

private void setDepartment(String department){ this.department = department;}
    public String getDepartment(){ return department;}

public void employeeToString(){
    	System.out.printf("%05d\t %s\t\t %s\t\t %s\n", 
    		getEmployeeNumber(), getFirstName(), getLastName(), getDepartment());
    }
}
public class EmployeeTest {

public static void main(String[] args){
    	Employee[] e = new Employee[3];
    	e[0] = new Employee(123, "Mickey", "Mouse", "IT support");
    	e[1] = new Employee(234, "Scrooge", "McDuck", "Finance");
    	e[2] = new Employee(345, "Donald", "Duck", "Research");

for(Employee emp :e){
    		emp.employeeToString();
    	}
    }    
}

thanks for your help, i was able to get the help of the clas Ta, and i finished the first part of the assignment (the circle one). I am having trouble with the dice program though, i'm trying to model it in my brain using the same way i did with the circle program, but i am having trouble, what am i doing wrong or would you say not understanding?

So i think i found a way to clarify what i'm having trouble with. Based on the info the teacher has given with the methods and constructors i don't know from which class to call which method and where each part of code should, as well as how much of the code to put in one place (eg i could probably just stick all the code in one place but he wants us to learn encapsulation)

write a program that will accept an integer number from 0-9999. Then, convert this number into words

Start a new thread

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.