So i want my program to loop while the user continues to say yes and i figured that my code below would work but for some reason it says that y is an undeclared identifier.

# include <iostream> 
# include <fstream> 
# include <cstdlib>
# include <string>
# include <cmath>

using namespace std;

int main () 
{

double balance, interest, minpayment;

int month(0);

char yesorno;

cout << " Enter your account balance: " << endl;
	cin >> balance;

do
	{

if (balance <= 1000)
			{
				interest = balance * .015;
				balance = balance * 1.015;
			}	
			else
			{

interest = balance * .01;
				balance = balance * 1.01;

}

if (balance <= 10)
			{
				minpayment = balance;

}

else if (balance * .1 < 10)
			{
				minpayment = 10;

}

else
			{
				minpayment = balance * .1;
			}

month = month++;

cout << " Month " << month << endl;
		cout << " Interest is: " << interest << endl;
		cout << " Account balance is: " << balance << endl;
		cout << " Minimum payment is: " << minpayment << endl;

cout << " Would you like to see the next months figures?  Y/y or N/n " << endl;

cin >> yesorno;

}		

while (yesorno == y);
			char y;

return(0);

}

you need to move your declaration of y to be before the do statement on line 23. the reason is that when the compiler hits the while statement it hasn't seen the deceleration for y so it doesn't know what it is. also a easy way to do the while statement would be

while(yesorno == 'Y' || yesorno =='y')

this will make sure that only a Y or a y will continue the code and all other inputs will be treated like a N or n

So from below if I have single quotes around the letter it just looks for the character Y or y in the input?

you need to move your deceleration of y to be before the do statement on line 23. the reason is that when the compiler hits the while statement it hasn't seen the deceleration for y so it doesn't know what it is. also a easy way to do the while statement would be

while(yesorno == 'Y' || yesorno =='y')

this will make sure that only a Y or a y will continue the code and all other inputs will be treated like a N or n

yes the while statement i wrote will check to see if the use entered Y or y. if the user enters either of the toughs the do while loop will continue. all other inputs will stop the loop and end the program.