First my skill levels:

I was over the moon when a friend donated his Trash80 to me, complete with manuals, oh so many years ago..

I got a glimpse into the PC world and later embraced DOS programming..:)

As windows came into the picture I left behind my 'boyhood' knowledge and went with the flow...

Many years later I find find myself at this juncture..

I need a simple way of tracking and therefore making my life simpler for a very small business.

I have checked out the simplest of accounting programs but none seem to fit my minimal requirements. I have found the learning curve far exceeds my simple requirements so I was wondering if I spent the time elsewhere and was able to design something specific to my needs would that time be better spent on an intellectual level?.. (Knowledge acquired being able to be spent in a broader sense and all that?).

Now my question..

Is there anything I can do with Java to track

Gasoline receipts.
Auto repairs.
Daily income. Including built in GST.
GST on expenses.
Repairs. (Including GST)..

GST being a value added tax collected and submitted to the government less the GST paid on gasoline and repairs.??
Any opinions/help would be appreciated..

Thanks in advance..

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

The question is..do you know how to program in JAVA? (you haven't mention it in your "skill levels")

Not yet but I'm willing to learn if Java will suit.

First my skill levels:

I was over the moon when a friend donated his Trash80 to me, complete with manuals, oh so many years ago..

I got a glimpse into the PC world and later embraced DOS programming..:)

As windows came into the picture I left behind my 'boyhood' knowledge and went with the flow...

Many years later I find find myself at this juncture..

I need a simple way of tracking and therefore making my life simpler for a very small business.

I have checked out the simplest of accounting programs but none seem to fit my minimal requirements. I have found the learning curve far exceeds my simple requirements so I was wondering if I spent the time elsewhere and was able to design something specific to my needs would that time be better spent on an intellectual level?.. (Knowledge acquired being able to be spent in a broader sense and all that?).

Now my question..

Is there anything I can do with Java to track

Gasoline receipts.
Auto repairs.
Daily income. Including built in GST.
GST on expenses.
Repairs. (Including GST)..

GST being a value added tax collected and submitted to the government less the GST paid on gasoline and repairs.??
Any opinions/help would be appreciated..

Thanks in advance..

Yes to all of the above. Java can do all of this, or at least it probably can since I don't know what GST is. I don't know that it's worth learning Java just to do that, but you could certainly make or use a Java program to do all of that. Don't plan on installing Java on the TRS-80 though. ;)

Thanks mate. I think I'll give Java a go I need a project..

GST is a value added tax here in Canada.

Thanks. That's what I had in mind..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.