Here is what i currently have; the instructions are a bit vague so i am confused on what to do beyond this...any help will be tremendous! This is my 2nd week in java so please understand i am not an expert

public abstract class TestQuestion {
    protected String question;
    protected abstract void readQuestion();     

}

class Essay {
    int blank; // number of blank lines needed variable

void readQuestion(){

}

public String toString(){

} // end method toString
}

class MultChoice {
    String[][] array = new String[100][100];

void readQuestion(){

}

public String toString(){

return String.format( "\nISBN: %s\nTitle: %s \nCopyrightdate: %s \nPrice: %s\nPublisher: %s",

);

} // end method toString

}

Here is my task
Test Questions
In this exercise you will use inheritance to read, store, and print questions for a test. First, write an abstract class
TestQuestion that contains the following:
_ A protected String variable that holds the test question.
_ An abstract method protected abstract void readQuestion() to read the question.
Now define two subclasses of TestQuestion, Essay and MultChoice. Essay will need an instance variable to store the
number of blank lines needed after the question (answering space). MultChoice will not need this variable, but it will
need an array of Strings to hold the choices along with the main question. Assume that the input is provided from the
standard input as follows, wi-th each item on its own line:
_ type of question (character, m=multiple choice, e=essay)
_ number of blank lines for essay, number of blank lines for multiple choice (integer)
_ choice 1 (multiple choice only)
_ choice 2 (multiple choice only) ...
The very first item of input, before any questions, is an integer indicating how many questions will be entered. So the
following input represents three questions: an essay question requiring 5 blank lines, a multiple choice question with 4
choices, and another essay question requiring 10 blank lines:
e
Why does the constructor of a derived class have to call the constructor
of its parent class?
m
Which of the following is not a legal identifier in Java?
guess2
2ndGuess
_guess2_
Guess
e
What does the “final” modifier do?
You will need to write readQuestion methods for the MultChoice and Essay classes that read information in this format.
(Presumably the character that identifies what kind of question it is will be read by a driver.) You will also need to write
toString methods for the MultChoice and Essay classes that return nicely formatted versions of the questions (e.g., the
choices should be lined up, labeled a), b), etc, and indented in MultChioce).
Now define a class WriteTest that creates an array of TestQuestion objects. It should read the questions from the
standard input as follows in the format above, first reading an integer that indicates how many questions are coming. It
should create a MultChoice object for each multiple choice question and an Essay object for each essay question and
store each object in the array. (Since it's an array of TestQuestion and both Essay and MultChoice are subclasses of
TestQuestion, objects of both types can be stored in the array.) When all of the data has been read, it should use a loop to
print the questions, numbered, in order.
Use the data in testbank.dat to test your program.
testbank.dat
e
Why does the constructor of a subclass class have to call the constructor of its
parent class?
m
Which of the following is not a legal identifier in Java?
Chapter 8: Inheritance 159
guess2
2ndGuess
_guess2_
Guess
e
What does the “final” modifier do?
e
Java does not support multiple inheritance. This means that a class cannot do
what?
m
A JPanel has an addMouseListener method because JPanel is a subclass of
JComponent
JApplet
Object

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Ok, you've posted your assignment.

Now please ask your questions about where you are having problems.

>> How do I make this code generate a new pro when the "NEXT" button is pushed
by Sir Saula in Java (Dec 7th, 2009)

Sorry my friend but that is not 2 weeks of Java. It would be appreciated if you refrained from believing we have ape brains. Like NormR1 says, you've posted your assignment.Now please ask your questions about where you are having problems.

Looks to me like someone is due to fail a test. Interesting, given the link in his signature.

it's a copy and pasted question people..

How about some editing before finishing the post to show its current state.
Copy and pasting with no input from the OP shows a very LAZY OP.

And if its for you business of doing other people's homework.

Forget it.

How about some editing before finishing the post to show its current state.
Copy and pasting with no input from the OP shows a very LAZY OP.

And if its for you business of doing other people's homework.

Forget it.

Oh Dear! I just noticed that in his signature. What a cheeky little bugger if that's what he is doing.

I'm sorry, but what is it you are failing to understand with our replies?

That doesn't mean anything. Post your code with specific questions. Open a book and follow the examples.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.