I am working in Linux 2.14 kernel, and I have an assignment.
I want to save for every process , the files it opens and closes , and the time he did that.
for example :
for process aaa :
opening "file1"
opening "file2"
closing "file1"
opening "file3"
closing "file3"
closing "file2"
I could save a linked-list , the question is where to save that , and how to update it.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I am working in Linux 2.14 kernel, and I have an assignment.
I want to save for every process , the files it opens and closes , and the time he did that.
for example :
for process aaa :
opening "file1"
opening "file2"
closing "file1"
opening "file3"
closing "file3"
closing "file2"
I could save a linked-list , the question is where to save that , and how to update it.

If its an old kernel then hi-jack the system calls and get then to send some information to the log file...here's an example of hi-jacking a system call

http://www.faqs.org/docs/kernel/x931.html

If its an old kernel then hi-jack the system calls and get then to send some information to the log file...here's an example of hi-jacking a system call

http://www.faqs.org/docs/kernel/x931.html

thanks but it doesn't actually helped me.
I will ask you more simple request :
I want to Update the kernel , that if one process wants to open a file , then we print to the screen " process %pid tries to open the file %file"
thanks in advance.

thanks but it doesn't actually helped me.
I will ask you more simple request :
I want to Update the kernel , that if one process wants to open a file , then we print to the screen " process %pid tries to open the file %file"
thanks in advance.

Well when you hijack the system call make sure it prints a message to the screen when a process opens or closes a file...I'm not sure what your looking for...I gave you a coded example and from that you should be able to get all the info you need...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.