Hi all,
this is just curious question on C++ and winapi.
I have heard that win32api is written in C and at the same time I have heard people saying that "light weight" applications can be written using API.

This boggles my mind on how C++ works with C-based API. Does it mean I have to sell OOP for procedural C or what :-O? Please help me get the concept :)

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Pretty much, if you want to use the Win32 API, the code will look very similar to C, but that's why they made MFC.

win32 api was written in C so that it can be called from lots of other programming languages.

>>Does it mean I have to sell OOP for procedural C or wha
Yes, unless you want to use something else, such as MFC (not free) or wxWidgets (free).

win32 api was written in C so that it can be called from lots of other programming languages.

>>Does it mean I have to sell OOP for procedural C or wha
Yes, unless you want to use something else, such as MFC (not free) or wxWidgets (free).

Eh! I thing I will have to sell win32 API for wxWidget as I cannot pay for MFC

There are a small number of us that write major Windows applications in various languages using almost exclusively the Win32 Api.

All programmers have their own biases, favorite way of doing things, etc. My favorite way of doing things most certainly doesn't suit everybody, but I've got to tell you, I find using the Win32Api directly for writting Windows applications to be optimal for me. I state this after having spent many years doing it all sorts of other ways, e.g., VB1 - 6, VB or C#.NET, MFC, etc.

What I found amusing about your post is your conception of writing programs against the Win32 Api as some kind of unusual and hard to imagine bizarre thing. It most certainly isn't.

What I think the reality is, is that a great many folks learn C++ now and start out writing console programs, then move on to writing GUI applications whose underlying foundation is the Win32 Api but this fact is all but hidden from them due to their passive acceptance of GUI libraries that completely hide the underlying Apis on which it is based. This process appears to me to be so far advanced at this point that many using GUI application frameworks aren't even aware that Windows doesn't require them. Period.

The other lamentable fact I have noticed in C++ and other languages is an over reliance on Windows Dialog Engine created windows. What inevitably seems to happen is that folks start trying to use these 'Windows' for things that they weren't designed for. Many times there are various complicated hacks that can be done to get these dialogs to do something they were never designed for, but in many cases they should never have been used in the first place.

as I cannot pay for MFC

Methinks Express indludes it as of the 2008 version (bit limited e.g no resource editor) And if you are a student, you could nab the pro version off Dreamspark.

Methinks Express includes it as of the 2008 version (bit limited e.g no resource editor)

What is Methinks Express? I googled with no avail!

And if you are a student, you could nab the pro version off Dreamspark.

That is! I need that UNESCO approved ID, and get the Pro version.

What is Methinks Express?

It means i think there is a version called Visual Studio Express

Methinks Express indludes

No it doesn't have it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.