Hi there guys,

So I have two arrays, and each arrays got 5 elements (integers). My goal is to to arrange the elements of each of those arrays in a descending order and save them in a new array.

I started off with bubble sorting each of those arrays and rearranging the elements in a descending sequence. It just seemed reasonable to start with that.

However now, I have to merge those two arrays. I thought it'd be wise to create a new empty array with a size big enough to contain all the elements, but I can't figure out for the life me how to arrange them in a descending order while merging them.

I know I could just transfer all the elements to the new array and then bubble sort it but that seems tedious. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

In my opinion, creating merging the arrays and then sorting the merged array isn't a bad idea because it's simple. But that depends on what you seek - performance or simplicity. Everything is possible to code but depends on your experience and the amount of time to spend doing it.

By the way, I doubt sorting and merging at the same time would be a lot faster than merging and then sorting.

That's just my opinion - accept it or not.

edit: Separated merging could save you some lines of code when implementing other sorting algorithms.

In my opinion, creating merging the arrays and then sorting the merged array isn't a bad idea because it's simple.

I agree, I implemented the aforementioned idea and its working just fine but I am always open to learning new stuff.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.