Hello, I am unsure of a certain naming convention. Take for instance, I have a file that is called HelloPeople, and I would like to have a dll file. How should I name the dll file: HelloPeopleLib or HelloPeople.Lib?

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Name your dll as you want, as long as you follow the file naming rules.
The only naming convention I know of in C# is that all interfaces files start with the capital letter I.
I tend to start all my constants with a small letter c, but that is a personal choice and it is not a rule that is carved in stone.

Name your dll as you want, as long as you follow the file naming rules.
The only naming convention I know of in C# is that all interfaces files start with the capital letter I.
I tend to start all my constants with a small letter c, but that is a personal choice and it is not a rule that is carved in stone.

Thanks. Does that mean that I should name it as IHelloPeople.Library? Then do you know how I can make a dll.class file in Visual Studio 2005/2008? Thanks in advance.

An interface is a part of the C# language and has nothing to do with how you name your files.
But IMHO would it not be better to write some books first and after that, consider building a library?
But if you really want to know, start with this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/3707x96z(VS.80).aspx

An interface is a part of the C# language and has nothing to do with how you name your files.
But IMHO would it not be better to write some books first and after that, consider building a library?
But if you really want to know, start with this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/3707x96z(VS.80).aspx

Awww, Okay, noted. I am still confused about going about to create a dll class file? Would it be possible for you to explain the steps? I'm a newbie, and has just started out on learning DLL today. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

a quick google search brought me to this and this.
Naming conventions are entirely down to personal preference, but by adhering to recognised standards, it makes your code easier for others to read and follow :)

commented: Thanks for the info. +5

As you have already learned by now, naming conventions are completely voluntary unless you are constrained to adhering to a standard. IMO, and until you find yourself confined to such constraints, continue learning and adopting naming techniques as you go along.

I would like to point out that consistency can be more important than adhering to any one particular set of naming rules because if you have ever tried to walk through code that has been touched by several different programmers where each programmer had their own way of defining/expressing code meaning/behavior, it can be more difficult to follow and understand. When working with large projects/solutions/workspaces (whatever), it is best to add and/or modify existing code files and libraries by keeping consistent with conventions already in place.

commented: Well said! +5
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.