Hey everyone,

I am looking for some guidance in regards to the track of my programming related education. I am about to finish my first intro to programming c++ class and love it. I want to continue studying programming but feel a little lost as to what is the best route to take.

I have spoken with an advisor at the school I am attending but I think I may get more well rounded feedback from you all.

The main questions I have are.

1.) How much education do I really need to make great jobs in the field available to myself.

2.) If I really like c++ what languages other than c++ should I focus on and what is the job market like for someone effecient in c++.

3.) Most importantly ... what advice would you give to a 28 year old career changer who has just found out how much he loves programming.

I would really appreciate any feedback, and guidance anyone has to offer.

Thanks,

Colin

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

First, join ACM. If you're currently a student then you can qualify for the student membership rate, which is really cheap. You'll get loads of books and online courses to help you learn all sorts of programming topics.

In just about any field anymore you can probably get a decent job with a BS, but to get a really good one you'll probably need a good number of years experience or an MS degree.

As for languages, if you like C++, try checking out Java, which is another OOP language and is pretty easy to "get" quickly and C# (pronounced c-sharp), which is sort of like C++ and Java's lovechild.

commented: Very helpfull . +1

First, join ACM. If you're currently a student then you can qualify for the student membership rate, which is really cheap. You'll get loads of books and online courses to help you learn all sorts of programming topics.

In just about any field anymore you can probably get a decent job with a BS, but to get a really good one you'll probably need a good number of years experience or an MS degree.

As for languages, if you like C++, try checking out Java, which is another OOP language and is pretty easy to "get" quickly and C# (pronounced c-sharp), which is sort of like C++ and Java's lovechild.

Thanks for the advice..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.