I'm writing some basic programs on python and I need an IDE with advanced code completion(like bpython).

I've tried eric, eclipse, IDLE but those are not good at code completion, I need something like bpython(if you don't know, just try, it's great at code completion and hints)

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Can you tell us in detail what you understand under advanced code completion?

Note (so you don't waste your time): bpython uses Linux's curses and does not work with Windows.

Have you checked Wing IDE? It does have code completion, but you need some $$$ ;)
I think Pydev does a good Job as does Pyscripter. May be they are not as advanced as you define.

Vega's question is good start

Note (so you don't waste your time): bpython uses Linux's curses and does not work with Windows.

bpython doesn't even work on my linux box. It could be the 64 bits chipset...

NetBeans for Python has nice code completion. It will close off "", {}, '', and () symbols for you. After typing 'def SomeFunction' it automatically adds '():' for you and when doing the same thing with a class like, 'class SomeClass', it automatically adds '(self):' for you. It also has automatic indentation, so after pressing enter after ':' symbols it automatically indents 4. I know that's basic, but it's better then other options.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.