First of all, I'd like to say hello to the Daniweb community as a first-time poster. I'm sorry if this is a common error for you folks to deal with, but my preliminary search of the forum didn't really help me all that much. So here we are.

Onwards to the issue. I'm trying to insert a record into an MS Access 2007 database using Visual Basic 2008. Here's the code in question:

Public Function InsScoutInfo(ByVal ScoutInfoObject As ScoutInfo) As Boolean
        Dim MaxID As Integer = SelMinMax("Max", "ScoutID", "ScoutInfo", "")
        If MaxID = 0 Then
            MaxID = 10000
        Else
            MaxID += 1
        End If
        Dim RowsAffected As Integer = 0
        Dim strInsert As String = "Insert Into ScoutInfo " & _
                                  "(ScoutID, YearID, GSUSAID, FName, LName, DoB, Grade, Level, School, YearsIn, CurrentYear) " & _
                                  "Values (" & _
                                                MaxID & ", " & ScoutInfoObject.YearID & ", " & _
                                                ScoutInfoObject.GSUSAID & ", '" & ScoutInfoObject.FName & "', '" & _
                                                ScoutInfoObject.LName & "', '" & ScoutInfoObject.DoB & "', '" & _
                                                ScoutInfoObject.Grade & "', '" & ScoutInfoObject.Level & "', '" & _
                                                ScoutInfoObject.School & "', " & ScoutInfoObject.YearsIn & ", '" & _
                                                ScoutInfoObject.CurrentYear & "')"
        Dim insCommand As New OleDbCommand(strInsert, conDBConnect)

conDBConnect.Open()
        RowsAffected = insCommand.ExecuteNonQuery
        conDBConnect.Close()

If RowsAffected > 0 Then
            Return True
        Else
            Return False
        End If
    End Function

When insCommand.ExecuteNonQuery is executed, an exception with Error # -2147217900 is thrown, with the detail of "In order to evaluate an indexed property, the property must be qualified and the arguments must be explicitly supplied by the user."

At the time the error is thrown, this is what resides in strInsert: "Insert Into ScoutInfo (ScoutID, YearID, GSUSAID, FName, LName, DoB, Grade, Level, School, YearsIn, CurrentYear) Values (10000, 20092010, 123456, 'Jacobina', 'Lowe', '11/30/2009', 'K', 'Daisy', 'Thisone', 0, '20092010')" I've already verified that the Insert statement and datatypes of the columns match.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. :)

~Jacob

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Level is a reserved word. change it to the query below and try again.

Dim strInsert As String = "Insert Into ScoutInfo " & _
                                  "(ScoutID, YearID, GSUSAID, FName, LName, DoB, Grade, [Level], School, YearsIn, CurrentYear) " & _
                                  "Values (" & _
                                                MaxID & ", " & ScoutInfoObject.YearID & ", " & _
                                                ScoutInfoObject.GSUSAID & ", '" & ScoutInfoObject.FName & "', '" & _
                                                ScoutInfoObject.LName & "', '" & ScoutInfoObject.DoB & "', '" & _
                                                ScoutInfoObject.Grade & "', '" & ScoutInfoObject.Level & "', '" & _
                                                ScoutInfoObject.School & "', " & ScoutInfoObject.YearsIn & ", '" & _
                                                ScoutInfoObject.CurrentYear & "')"

I feel SO incredibly stupid, but I forgive myself because I'm not familiar with MS Access reserved words :).

Thanks a bunch, compadre!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.