Guys newbie here, I need your help. I need to create a program that will compute for the following entered values and will determine the equivalent grade:

Formulas:
Midterm Quizzes = 30%
Midterm CS = 20%
Midterm Exam = 50%
Final Quizzes = 40%
Final CS = 10%
Final Exam = 50%

Midterm Grade = sum of MIDTERM PERIOD
(quiz average * 30%)+(cs * 20%)+(exam * 50%)
Final Grade = sum of FINAL PERIOD
(quiz average * 40%)+(cs * 10%)+(exam * 50%)

Final = (Midterm Grade * 40%) + (Final Grade * 60%)

Equivalent:

95-100="4.0"

91-94="3.5"

87-90="3.0"

83-86="2.5"

79-82="2.0"

75-78="1.5"

70-74="1.0"

<70="R"

I'm still a newbie and I'm trying to learn... Your help is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I'm still a newbie and I'm trying to learn...

Forum rule is We only give homework help to those who show effort.
What is the best way to learn? By practicing and making mistakes from which you hopefully learn and avoid them next time. So if you please get to work, show us what you did and tell is where is problem.

I really have no idea on how to do that. Like what I've said, I'm still a newbie. They assigned me to do that work for it to serve as a reference for my other works. I got a lot of things to do now but they said that is the easiest one. I just need an idea, how to start, etc.. Help please..

You must have some background otherwise this wouldn't be assigned to you. And everyone has lots of things to do beside helping somebody who is not willing to cooperate and just looking forward to cheat his way through...
You start working on this task or forget about any help

I've started it for you and I think you can work on from here...if this is what you're intending to do:

System.out.println("Enter your first quiz grade: ");
    	Scanner sc = new Scanner(System.in);
    	int firstQ = sc.nextInt();
    	System.out.println("Enter your second quiz grade: ");
    	int secondQ = sc.nextInt();
        System.out.println("Enter your third quiz grade: ");
        int thirdQ = sc.nextInt();
        double MidQuizAvg = (firstQ + secondQ + thirdQ)/3;
        System.out.println("Enter your Midterm CS grade: ");
        double MidtermCS = sc.nextInt(); 
        System.out.println("Enter your Midterm Exam grade: ");
        double MidtermExam = sc.nextInt(); 

double MidtermGrade = (MidQuizAvg * .3 + MidtermCS * .2 + MidtermExam * .5);
        System.out.println("Your midterm grade is: " + MidtermGrade);

There is error checking to consider and also the 2nd part to do ...so if this is what you're looking for then try to work from this :)

Thanks for the reply, that really helps. I'll try to work it out now, and I'll be posting here for updates.

Guys I have a problem. I'm about to finish but there's an error. Why is it that the "Scanner sc = new Scanner(System.in);" part has an underline. It says, "Scanner cannot be resolved to a type"

What installation of java you are using? and what operating system?

did you import the scanner?
if not add

import java.util.Scanner;

at the top
hope that helps :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.