In another post I found the following construct:

#define STATIC_ASSERT(condition) \
do                               \
  char foo[condition] = {0};     \
while ( false );

First, I had to do a search to see whether "static" meant "compile-time" here (that poor keyword static, it's got too many overloaded meanings in C and C++). I'm think fairly confident that it means the compile would break if the condition were false, which is the desired outcome for what I have titled here as "Compile Time Assertions".

Anyways, I did a little digging to see how I had done something similar in some fairly recent code. The version I found, and an example of what this does or is intended to do, is like in the following:

#include <stdio.h>

#define COMPILE_TIME_ASSERT(cond, msg) \
typedef unsigned char msg[(cond) ? 1 : 0]

#define NELEM(x) (sizeof(x)/sizeof(*x))

const char *const Table[] =
{
   "one", "two", "three", "four", "five", "six",
   "seven", "eight", "nine", "ten", "eleven",
   "twelve", "thirteen", "fourteen", "fifteen",
#if 0
   "sixteen", "seventeen", "eighteen", "nineteen",
#endif
};

COMPILE_TIME_ASSERT(NELEM(Table) < 16, Table_too_big);

int main()
{
   size_t i;
   for ( i = 0; i < NELEM(Table); ++i )
   {
      printf("Table[%d] = \"%s\"\n", (int)i, Table[i]);
   }
   return 0;
}

In the case where more elements are added to the table (changing #if 0 to #if 1 ), I get the following error:

main.c:18: warning: ISO C forbids zero-size array `Table_too_big'

I was just curious what other variations of this people might have encountered, and whatever reasons they have for preferring one way to another.

I guess I'd chosen to have a second parameter as a "message" which would be an identifier whose name would hopefully be descriptive of the issue. And apparently the typedef is to prevent even a single extra byte of data to be defined in the build of either a version with this assert present or not. I think this same thing is being done by Narue's use of local scope in the do-while.

Anyways, what other variations might people have used?

i would like to subscribe to your newsgroup.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.