Hi! I am quite an active programmer. I work allot for school so i need a good IDE. I am currently working on Windows with Dev C++. Dev is quite a good compiler and editor but IMO the debugger...sucks.

So I would like to know your opinion on Dev, and maybe other IDE suggestions.

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Scrap that old IDE/compiler and get either free Code::Blocks/MinGW or VC++ 2008 Express. But if it's at school then you may not have a choice.

Dev is quite a good compiler and editor but IMO the debugger...sucks.

In that case you might want to try out VC++ 2008 Express.

I have VS 2008 Pro but tend to use CodeBlocks for C++. Like all Microsoft software, VS has a very 'heavy' and 'slow' feel to it, i.e., massive gigabytes in installation, lots of hourglasses, slow to react, etc. I tend to use older equipment than most, so perhaps its not so bad with the very latest top end stuff. In my opinion Dev-Cpp is OK to start with. If you get serious about programming though, you'll tend to move on.

I think the download for Dev-Cpp is around 10MB. For CodeBlocks its around a hundred MB. Last summer I bought Visual Studio 2008 Pro and when I did the install I told it to install the works, including SQL Server 2005 Express, which was on the DVDs that came with it. The 'works' added about 18 gigabytes to my harddrive. Unbelievable for an old DOS hacker like me!

on my computer VC++ 2008 Express fills about 5 GB
Borland Developer Studio fills about 1.5 GB.
but VC is faster than IE8 for me.
I have Dev but use it only when I write portable code.

codeblock has good appearance but is fancy. I use it only for normalizing codes.

a good thing about VC when u copy the code & paste it in a rich text editor it's colorful. good when you write an educational article

for long programs I run all compilers & share the cpp files & test my programs in all of them. finding errors is easier in this way.

Dev cannot run step by step & does not have help. help is very crucial.

There is also Eclipse.

>Dev is quite a good compiler and editor but IMO the debugger...sucks.
Yes, the debugger in Dev-C++ has a bit to be desired. It's actually just a graphical interface into gdb, and not a very good one.

>So I would like to know your opinion on Dev
I like it, but I fall back to separate debugging tools or alternative strategies from the integrated debugger. However, note that Dev-C++ is no longer in active development and hasn't been for several years. The longer you use it, the more you'll fall behind as compilers evolve.

>and maybe other IDE suggestions.
My favorite IDE is Visual Studio, and it's entirely because the debugger is pleasant to use.

>I have Dev but use it only when I write portable code.
You know that portable code can easily be written in Visual C++ and Borland C++, right? A good way to write portable code is:

1. Know the line between standard and non-standard.
  2. Verify your assumptions by compiling on at least three different compilers (ideally on different platforms).

This brings together theory and practice, and because there are so many good free compilers and operating systems, it's no longer an expensive thing to do.

I find Dev easy to use and lightweight. VC++ is actually to massive for me, I would like something not specially intended for large scale projects. I thought about Code:Blocks.

THe conslusion
I must say I turned to Code::Blocks, and I actually like it very very much.
Tanke you very much for your help ! :D

THe conslusion
I must say I turned to Code::Blocks, and I actually like it very very much.
Tanke you very much for your help ! :D

Yes Code::Blocks is my best FREE IDE Easy to use and Code-Styling plug in and more good plug-ins.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.