I am trying to use wxPython (the version that ships with Fedora 11 - I'm not building it from source). I am seeing:

from wxPython.wx import *
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wxPython/__init__.py", line 15, in <module>
    import _wx
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wxPython/_wx.py", line 3, in <module>
    from _core import *
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wxPython/_core.py", line 15, in <module>
    import wx._core
ImportError: No module named _core

I tried adding:

export PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wxPython:/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx:/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode

to my path in .bashrc, but it didn't change anything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave

Is this correct?
from wxPython.wx import *
In any case, you may have to install/re-install wxPython.

_core.py indeed exists there. I just installed wxPython this morning (sudo yum install wxPython*) so I don't think reinstalling would change anything. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

This is what I have

>>> from wxPython.wx import *
__main__:1: DeprecationWarning: The wxPython compatibility package is no longer automatically generated or actively maintained.  Please switch to the wx package as soon as possible.
>>> import wx
>>>

I see that deprecation warning, but then it doesn't work.

[doriad@davedesktop gecko]$ python
Python 2.6 (r26:66714, Jul  4 2009, 17:37:22) 
[GCC 4.4.0 20090506 (Red Hat 4.4.0-4)] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> from wxPython.wx import *
__main__:1: DeprecationWarning: The wxPython compatibility package is no longer automatically generated or actively maintained.  Please switch to the wx package as soon as possible.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wxPython/__init__.py", line 15, in <module>
    import _wx
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wxPython/_wx.py", line 3, in <module>
    from _core import *
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wxPython/_core.py", line 15, in <module>
    import wx._core

However, import wx seems to work fine. Should I just use that instead?

Dave

Yes, I think you should use import wx.

You can not have wxGTK and wxPython installed at the same time. This bit me a while back. Check to see if wxGTK is installed. Also, check that /usr/bin/python is a symlink to /usr/bin/python2.6 and the same for /usr/lib/python.

If I

sudo yum remove wxGTK

it tries to remove wxPython as well. Is there a way to remove it without removing wxPython?

Thanks,
Dave

A bit of background - I am trying to get an existing script to run. I tried to replace this line:

>>> from wxPython.glcanvas import *
    import _wx
    from _core import *
    import wx._core

with this:

>>> from wx.glcanvas import *
ImportError: No module named glcanvas

and it looks like wx doesn't have a glcanvas.

Is wx not going to be very backwards compatible with wxPython?

Dave

Keying just this into a terminal on my Slackware machine works fine
from wx.glcanvas import *
so it has to be something with the install. Take a look at this link http://www.wxpython.org/download.php I have MESA installed so that may be the difference. You should also try searching the Fedora forum as someone else has probably had this problem.